To the Pila fans...

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I noticed there were a lot of Pila fans in the thread started by AardvarkSagus; so I decided to make a new one dedicated to the Pila flashlight owner. Ever since I switched from a SF A2 to a Pila GL3 as my EDC, I have been a Pila maniac and never looked back.

So please, my fellow Pila fans, post away your musings on this wonderous light!

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently carrying my GL2 with Cree drop-in. Absolutely a fantastic light and very VERY solid.

I've really got to start looking into buying some decent rechargeable batteries for it. I just wish the Pila branded ones weren't so expensive. I hear that you get what you pay for though.

I'm hopeful that they will enter the single cell EDC market soon. That's an arena that they haven't attempted yet.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, a new Pila thread! Here's some stuff I know that took me a while to find out.

Most people would be interested in the latest Cree LED dropin (Q5 available now) but it's a shame that they are so hard to get hold of. I find the runtimes are a little confusing on the website.

Pila GL2
2 x cr123a - runtime: > 8hours
1 x Pila 600P (18650) - runtime: > 7hours

Pila GL3
3 x cr123a - runtime: > 7hours
2 x Pila 300P (18500) - runtime: = 2hours

You're probably thinking Q: why do the runtimes get less when we add more battery energy?

A: the GL3 maintains better regulation. The GL2 runtimes include the several hours of moon mode at the end of the run. The GL3 stays bright for longer and the li-ion option gives 2 (+) hours of constant regulation throughout until the protection circuit cutout.

Dropin compatibility

GL2 and GL3 should be compatible with P60 (D26) style dropins with an outer spring. Without this spring, probably not. Unfortunately P60 style dropins don't make very good thermal contact with the flashlight body so for LED, it's probably best to stick to low powered dropins e.g. the Surefire P60L. For high powered LED dropins, get the genuine Pila version.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything here.

I'd like to know more about the GL4. Are there any dropin upgrades available (incan or LED)? I'd be interested in an incan dropin that would run brighter on 2 x 600P (18650). AW's latest protected 18650's can handle some very high powered incans with single click e.g. WA1111. I'd also be interested in an SSC P7 dropin but I can't imagine the heatsinking would be very good.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've owned a GL4, 3 or so GL3's, but never a GL2. With the new LED version, it sounds like that's a killer all-around utility light.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really wish I had a chance to add the Q5 drop-in to my list of reviews but I don't see that happening any time soon.

I too would love to see a P7 drop in for the GL4 but I think the P7 is still too recent to market for that to come. I see Pila as taking their time with new developments to make sure that they have sustainability before taking the plunge and unfortunately I imagine that means the MC-E has to come out and get tested first before they decide on the new direction.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was lucky enough to get hold of a cree Q5 dropin that came with a GL3 from bugoutgearusa. It's not listed on the BOG website so maybe you have to email them. The other way is to contact Pila directly. A few people on CPF have got hold of them that way.

For the GL4, I think an SSC P7 or MC-E option would be better as a complete head (like the Surefire KL9) rather than a dropin (like the Wolfeyes M90 P7) for improved cooling. Maybe they could call it the GL5 :naughty:

In the meantime, I'm just wondering if it's possible to cannibalise a P7 dropin from one of those cheap KD or DX lights to fit into the GL4?

Does anyone know if Lumens Factory D36 incan dropins will work? I know they fit the old style GL4. I guess the EO-9L would work on 2 x 18650 if it fits but I'd like something even brighter.

Last edited:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was lucky enough to get hold of a cree Q5 dropin that came with a GL3 from bugoutgearusa. It's not listed on the BOG website so maybe you have to email them. The other way is to contact Pila directly. A few people on CPF have got hold of them that way.

For the GL4, I think an SSC P7 or MC-E option would be better as a complete head (like the Surefire KL9) rather than a dropin (like the Wolfeyes M90 P7) for improved cooling. Maybe they could call it the GL5 :naughty:

Unfortunately I was speaking less of the availability of the drop-in and more of the condition of my pocketbook. Doctors are telling me it may not pull through...

I've written to Pila before and suggested a screw on upgrade replacement to the GL4. At the time it was before the release of the P7 or MC-E so I instead recommended to them a tri-cree version I dubbed the "Triumverate". It would definitely be interesting to instead see a quad die LED used to allow for better overall focusing, but I would recommend heavy finning of the head behind the reflector to allow for superior heatsinking. This way they could drive the LED quite hard and have it hold up well. Maybe I'll find that sketch and show it here...

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad to see so many Pilaholics here!

Maybe I'll find that sketch and show it here...

Please do! That would be awesome to see.:thumbsup:

I have a few fun mod ideas.:huh: Me and Luigi discovered the limitations of the Codex module, so I'm wondering if it's possible to re-program or expand its capabilities. I'm sure this isn't too hard for a select few CPF members (a certain Chicken Aviatrix comes to mind), I sure wish more people were open to the idea. JSBurly was making his Indium Smart, perhaps he can contribute some of his ideas to a mod such as this?

Another idea is converting a GL4 into an HID! If there isn't enough room for a ballast, gutting a Codex 4 and using the extra room may solve the problem. It'll be on the big side for an HID of its size, but a fun idea nonetheless.:twothumbs

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, a new Pila thread! Here's some stuff I know that took me a while to find out.

Most people would be interested in the latest Cree LED dropin (Q5 available now) but it's a shame that they are so hard to get hold of. I find the runtimes are a little confusing on the website.

Pila GL2
2 x cr123a - runtime: > 8hours
1 x Pila 600P (18650) - runtime: > 7hours

Pila GL3
3 x cr123a - runtime: > 7hours
2 x Pila 300P (18500) - runtime: = 2hours

You're probably thinking Q: why do the runtimes get less when we add more battery energy?

A: the GL3 maintains better regulation. The GL2 runtimes include the several hours of moon mode at the end of the run. The GL3 stays bright for longer and the li-ion option gives 2 (+) hours of constant regulation throughout until the protection circuit cutout.

Dropin compatibility

GL2 and GL3 should be compatible with P60 (D26) style dropins with an outer spring. Without this spring, probably not. Unfortunately P60 style dropins don't make very good thermal contact with the flashlight body so for LED, it's probably best to stick to low powered dropins e.g. the Surefire P60L. For high powered LED dropins, get the genuine Pila version.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything here.

I'd like to know more about the GL4. Are there any dropin upgrades available (incan or LED)? I'd be interested in an incan dropin that would run brighter on 2 x 600P (18650). AW's latest protected 18650's can handle some very high powered incans with single click e.g. WA1111. I'd also be interested in an SSC P7 dropin but I can't imagine the heatsinking would be very good.

You're right on the money with the LED specs.:) I looked up the Lumens Factory options for the GL4, unfortunately the ratings are based on CR123 (non-rechargeable). I too was looking forward to a brighter rechargeable option by LF, but no go. If you're interested, the models they offer are the HO-12 and the SR-12.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please do! That would be awesome to see.:thumbsup:

How's this look? I tried to keep true to the standard Pila aesthetics but still show a new direction with the tri-cree head. I sent them a few other ideas as well but I'd be surprised to see any in production since I'm just an average Joe and not terribly influential.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome!:drool: Thanks for sharing, I know one of the WE models has a similar setup, so I know it's definitely possible. If they don't make it we can always mod a GL4 to our taste, right?:naughty: We can always dream.:thumbsup:

I am also keen to the idea of a 1 cell Pila, I think this can be pulled off by milling a GL2 and putting a 3V lamp up there. I wouldn't mind trying...:grin2: I just don't have the tools or know-how.

fishmanstan

Newly Enlightened
I have a Pila G2R that came with the Q5, and I love it. I have some R2 drop ins that I bought on CPF that work great in it, also. I don't think it could be beat for the price. All I really wanted was the Pila charger from flashlightz.com, but I figured if I just spent the extra money, I would get the light, charger, battery and case then get free shipping. My favorite thing about this light is it does not get hot at all. I haven't done a run time test, but I know I've used it for at least several hours and haven't charged the battery since its initial charge when I received it 2 weeks ago. It's a little heavy, but its built extremely solid.

fishmanstan

Newly Enlightened
If Pila made a light like Aardvark's drawing, I'd buy it as soon as it was available.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Pila made a light like Aardvark's drawing, I'd buy it as soon as it was available.

I agree. I thought the GL4 looked mean, but after seeing Aardvark's drawing, it looks like something the "Predator" would carry!:devil: (I know I keep saying that for every cool light I see!)

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've written to Pila before and suggested a screw on upgrade replacement to the GL4.

That's a good idea. A screw in upgrade would make good thermal contact with the head. Am I right in thinking that the threads go all the way to the top in the GL4? This would allow a large area of thermal contact and the GL4 head is quite big so should be a be to dissipate the heat well. A screw-in drop-in would be an advantage over the Wolfeyes P7 M90 for heatsinking.

The SSC P7 or MC-E would be good as a dropin. Multi-Cree would work better as a complete head.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice.:popcorn: Again Pila should at least manufacture this light, it would be cheaper, easier and faster to produce as well. I WANT IT!!!