McClicky Surefire

lewong

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Surefire 6P to use as a host for my Malkoff M60. I've put McClicky switches in most of my flashlights because I like forward clickies, so I thought I'd put one in my new 6P.

I used wquiles great post for instructions on disassembling the stock switch.

Since I didn't have a metal retaining ring to hold the new switch, I soldered a piece of brass to the McClicky switch so that it contacts the inside of the switch housing. I put a dab of solder on the contact on the other side so the retaining ring would seat the switch flat.

That piece of brass also meant I had to remove the anodizing from the inside of the housing where the brass tab makes contact, so no lock out.

mcclicky.jpg
4015192104_9c420eabff.jpg

I put in a glow in the dark tailcap, the McClicky switch and the retaining ring. Now I have a nice forward clicky switch.

4015192042_79e4b834e5.jpg

inside.jpg

mcclicky.com

Last edited:

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Nice job! I love McClicky switches over the stock surefire clickies.

Since SF has redesigned many of its clickies, is there still a reason to go for a McClicky or other clicky mods? Do McClickies offer a greater reliability advantage even over the new redesigned SF clickies?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the reason to modify with McClicky is that it can be made into dual stage. Someone please chime in if I'm wrong. Either that or the McClicky's are only $7.50 and the Surefire clickies are around $40. Cheaper to modify a LOTC than buy a Surefire.

Winx

Newly Enlightened
I took the original tailcap apart and put McClicky with aluminum retainer from cheap chinese tailcap. I also used O-ring for threads to center it nicely.

McClicky is much more sensitive compared to Z59. Don't want to sell the Z59, but I have no use for it at the moment.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok Im a little confused. are there different McClickies out there?

arent the McClickies supposed to be put in a 6P/G2 stock tailcap?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The McClicky is a switch module that can be mounted in various hosts / tailcaps. Typical examples are E-Series or Aleph caps and quite some custom caps.
bernie

Winx

Newly Enlightened
Repeating the same, but here's few (unfocused) pictures from my tailcap. One o-ring and clickie centers nicely. Would be nice to use some threadlocker for aluminum ring.

6P.Tailcap.McClicky.1.jpg

6P.Tailcap.McClicky.2.jpg

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a direct drop-in for the Z52 twisty, but IIRC the Z57/Z61 clickies require some modification.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I am going to try and mod the DX:14024 cap with a McClicky. The cheap switch mechanism feels really "sticky and creeky as its pressed... IMHO. Although the cap itself feels nice and robust.

I'll post back my results:thumbsup:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old Z58/59 was crap. I have a new revision Z59 on one of my lights and it is a very nice switch. The new version features a thicker gauge spring and smooth click action. It appears to have more metal on the internals as well. I don't think there is any reason to buy a McClicky anymore, the SF switch seems better than the McClicky now. And the Surefire parts are warrantied. If the McClicky goes bad you are probably s.o.l.