• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

LS20 vs. PD-S?

carrot

Flashaholic
How does the LS20 compare against the PD-S? I realize I never really even considered the LS20 but with McGizmo claiming it far superior to the older PD's I figure maybe I aught to give the LS20 a look-see. Beamshots, photos, comparison review, etc, etc please? For reference, I have an Al PD-S Mizer.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have read and previous beamshots posted, the LS20 shines in it's low mode where 3 nichia DS led emit a soft flood. In high mode, however, the Dragon emitter's hotspot is smaller than the seoul's.

It really depends on your lighting needs. Which vary for everyone. Some people need a low spot where the PD-S will be king. Others may need a low flood where the LunaSol will be superior.

toby_pra

Flashaholic
IMHO the LS20 is a great working light, also the PD-S. :grin2:

If you need a little bit more brightness, without a soft-floody beam
in the lower level, take the PD-S.

Both are great lights, what a difficult decision...:D

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the LunaSol20 low was combined with the PD-S high, there would be no contest. As reality stands though, it's a compromise either way. You need to decide whether the more robust high or the nice floody low is the feature you can better afford to sacrifice.

Personally, I decided the smaller size was the feature I could best sacrifice, which is why I carry a LS27. It more or less marries the floody LunaSol low with a PD-S type high (with extra flood to boot).

FWIW, I kept my PD-S and sold my LS20.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
To add, I think the flutes on the PD-S looks so much better than the teardrops on the Lunasols.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
If the LunaSol20 low was combined with the PD-S high, there would be no contest. As reality stands though, it's a compromise either way.

+1

Although I have both, I tend to carry my PD-S more. I like the shorter size and more grippy flutes on the head even though the machining on the threads is better on the LS20. I also prefer the slightly warmer tint of the PD-S vs the cooler tint of the LS20.

I'd like to think that a Rebel powered LS20 like McGizmo originally designed with a GD driver (so it could take primaries & rechargeables) and flutes from the PD-S would be ever so close to my perfect light. :D As mentioned before, check Kiessling's LunaSol FAQ thread for beamshots. As it stands however, here are some pros & cons of the lights IMHO:

PD-S:
shorter length: 3.30"
brighter on High
low spot and very dim spill on Low
accepts CR123 & RCR123
shorter runtime on High (~60mins fully regulated)
machining on threads & piston not as smooth as LS20
grippier flutes on head allows easier turning w/wet hands or gloves
very slight warm tint with larger hotspot (on my Nov.07 wave PD-S, tint on other waves may vary)

LS20:
longer length: 3.47"
slightly dimmer on High
low wide flood on Low
accepts ONLY CR123
longer runtime on High (~112mins fully regulated)
better machining on threads & piston sleeve (easier to turn & push)
less grippy flutes on head
slightly cooler white tint with smaller hotspot

easilyled

Flashaholic
I think that its not always the case that the threads on the LS20 are
smoother than the Ti PD-S.

The threads on my Ti PD-S happen to be amongst the smoothest of all
my McGizmo lights, absolutely like butter. Yet there's no looseness or
wobble at all either.

Joseph Milton

Enlightened
Personally, I am partial to my PD-S. The beam pattern is perfect. The feel in the hand, and the flutes are great on the PD-S.

I had a LS20 for a bit, but didn't like it as much as the LS27, which I think is still not as great as the PD-S for my applications. I love the LS27 though. It is an awesome light, but PD-S me 5 days out of 7!

Joseph

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no wayb to tell which light is "better" for you.
The answer to your question is based upon purly subjective opinions.

If you need a low level which is vuagly similar to the mule and a light withb a nice WHITE high in one light then the Lunasol 20 is for you.
If you need a basic 2 speed light with a little more power and less runtime then the PD-S might be for you.
I forgot to add that I edc a Lonasol 20 around my neck. I work in the tV and motionpicture business and it is just right for me. I use it in both modes EVERY day many times.
That is me. For aqll I know youn work out doors all day and have different needs.
I am ofcourse looking at the question from the point of view that the light will be EDC for you and used as a tool. Other uses may have different requirements for you.

Yaesumofo

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny how these things are so personal.

I really like and prefer the teardrop's.

Personal preference is king.
Thank goodness that we have some variety. Can you imagine only having one or two lights to choose from?
What of McGizmo got taken up by a big name Flashlight company and we never saw the custom stuff from him at all?
What a terrible thought.
Yaesumofo

To add, I think the flutes on the PD-S looks so much better than the teardrops on the Lunasols.

cqbdude

Enlightened
The PD-S is a classic.....a workhorse....just like a Colt 1911 .

The LunaSol20 is the new kid on the block...

But like everyone said , they are both excellent edc lights..
Its more of a preference...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The LS20's low mode makes it more useful than the PD, the high mode is sufficient with both lights.
It'd be the LS20 for me.
bernie

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LS20's low mode makes it more useful than the PD, the high mode is sufficient with both lights.
It'd be the LS20 for me.
bernie

It's really a question of throw comparing the two highs. If you are within 30-50 feet of your target, either is probably fine. Above that, the PD-S starts to show itself as more useful, and the S27 more useful still.

For many uses the added throw of the PD-S is probably not needed and in those cases, the added flood of the LS20 adds considerably to the utility of the beam. But for those cases where the added throw is useful, the PD-S does show it's stuff.