Got my e01 today, some first impressions

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my purple e01 today, happey to say it's purple instead of pink, althought a couple shades deeper would make a better purple. It appears pink on photo but the real color is deeper than that.

The machining is great, definately on par with arc, although the anodization doesn't appears to be very strong since I already have some tiny chips. It could be smaller by not having the flat side panel and reduce the overall diameter, but in reality it doesn't matter since the light is already tiny enough.

I quite like how the LED is recessed deep in reflector, so it doesn't have the annoying halo from tip of LED like arc does. The spill area is less because of this, but doesn't affect anything in use as far as I can tell. Hotspot brightness is very similar to arc ds. The hotspot is oblong shaped, but you really need to look for it to notice.

Something strange I noticed, from a fresh alkaline cell, it pulls 80 ma whereas arc ds pulls 100 ma. I was under the impression arc drives LED at 40 ma while fenix 20 ma, so I'm not sure why the battery pull difference is so small.

One thing I wish however is for them to include the clip with it. It cost ten cents tops for christ's sake, I bet it would make customers a lot happier if they included it instead of selling it for $5 seperately.

Anyway, I'm happy with the $15 light, and it will become sidekick to my EDC L1, just need to find something to put on end of the swivel.

dscn1417oi7.jpg

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a recent camping trip I ended up using my E01 quite a bit. It was on a lanyard around my neck and it was bright enough to use around camp and because it is so small it was easy to mouth hold for the odd handsfree task. It certainly lights fair area when out in the woods. Great bang for the buck for sure.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Attaching the split ring to the tail, and threading the swivel end of the swivel snap to that allows the light to attached to just about anything

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked one up too, and I agree that the fit and finish is excellent.

I wanted to fall in love with this light... The only thing was (not to be a downer) that I just felt that the output was a bit too low for me. I'm a lumenophile so this is no surprise, but for the way I use it, my Photon Freedom tiny weightless keychain light beat this out by a good bit and seemed like a better trade off to cary as an EDC. But I gave it to my brother and he just loves it!

Now I'm seriously looking at the L0D Q4 which is not much bigger than the e01 but presumably brighter and hopefully whiter. But, as you say, the runtime will be nowhere near as good.

I hope you enjoy the light!

:grin2:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you think about it, it has the same (or higher after a few minutes) output as an incan minimag. Over ten years ago I use a minimag to navigate through non-lighted gravel roads to get home after school at night, and it was enough. We are really getting spoiled by the high powered lights today!

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you think about it, it has the same (or higher after a few minutes) output as an incan minimag. Over ten years ago I use a minimag to navigate through non-lighted gravel roads to get home after school at night, and it was enough. We are really getting spoiled by the high powered lights today!

This is so true. I have said in many of my posts that a large number of us got by just fine for years on minimags and the like. Yes our new lights makes illuminating tasks and objects easier but for my day to day I could get by on just an E01...I just don't want to because that wouldn't be much fun.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it and I feel guilty (a little). I loved flashlights as a kid and realize that those craptacular incans couldn't hold a candle to the throw-aways of today (pun intended). And yet, it was still super fun to look around outside into the dark and they were effective for changing a tire or finding lost keys, so the only reasonable conclusion is that we are all wicked spoiled... But I say "carpe lux!" We can surf the web whilst on the toilet, pay our taxes with a click of a button and have the internet in our pockets... might as well decimate the darkness with pocket-rocket lights that never burn out and illuminate our hearts and minds!

:party:

Latest posts