Beam Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albinoni

Banned
Whats the difference between the beam of a LED and a Xenon? Is the LED beam more whiter and cooler and also is the beam of a xenon also white in colour like the LED. I also presume Xenon lights heat up more to that of LED beams.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The shape of the beam has a lot to do with the reflector rather then the emitting thing itself.

I presume you mean the tint of the lights.

Usually a LED has a whiter/cooler color then an incan.

Incans aren't as efficient as LEDs, so they produce more heat. Much of the heat is in IR(infrared) which you can feel coming out the front of the incan light as it heats up your skin.

Incans do have more contrast then LEDs, making things pop out more then incan when it is used out doors. But there are also warm white LEDs and higher CRI LEDs. Warm white LEDs have a lower and more incan like tint then most LEDs(but at the cost of some output of course). Higher CRI LEDs make thing pop out more then normal LEDs(also at the cost of some output).

Albinoni

Banned
Sorry I did mean tint as in the colour. I know that Incans are more yellowish colour, LEDs are white and cool apart from some such as some Luxeons which are more so creamy white (like my Maglite AA Led) but the Crees a more whiter LED. Than you get the Xenon bulbs which I presume are also white, but probably not as white as an LED but more whiter than an Incan bulb.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Sorry I did mean tint as in the colour. I know that Incans are more yellowish colour, LEDs are white and cool apart from some such as some Luxeons which are more so creamy white (like my Maglite AA Led) but the Crees a more whiter LED. Than you get the Xenon bulbs which I presume are also white, but probably not as white as an LED but more whiter than an Incan bulb.

Huh? tint is a reference to the color of the beam. Also, xenon is an incandescent, it's not something completely different.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
The shape of the beam has a lot to do with the reflector rather then the emitting thing itself.

I presume you mean the tint of the lights.

Usually a LED has a whiter/cooler color then an incan.

Incans aren't as efficient as LEDs, so they produce more heat. Much of the heat is in IR(infrared) which you can feel coming out the front of the incan light as it heats up your skin.

Incans do have more contrast then LEDs, making things pop out more then incan when it is used out doors. But there are also warm white LEDs and higher CRI LEDs. Warm white LEDs have a lower and more incan like tint then most LEDs(but at the cost of some output of course). Higher CRI LEDs make thing pop out more then normal LEDs(also at the cost of some output).

Just to correct your typo you said out doors LEDs give better depth perception than icans but you meant it the other way around, we know the difference but I was clearing it up for Albinon;). Also an xenon bulb is not necessarily whiter then normal krypton bulbs. My 4D Maglite is just as white as my 6D xenon. One has remember that with most unregulated Incans "such as Mags" after the first 2 hours of use they drastically drop in output and will start to produce a ugly yellow beam for another 7 or so hours. One way to combat this it to try and use batteries with a flat discharge rate "like lithium / NiMh" so the light will stay white and bright right up to the very end, where it will just drop off.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I meant that high CRI LEDs give better color rendition then normal LEDs. How they compare to incans I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.