FM3V-2 what bulbs will it stand up to?

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
Building an elephant with 8 emolis. I want to design a long run time with something that will not burn the reflector. Any thoughts on which bulb for max lumens, no burning of the reflector, and a decent run time?

As a side note I burned a reflector with a 64430(6 volt 35 watt osram)

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
I burnt a metal reflector made for the standard D mag....think I got it from Litho. The 64430 gets hot...10 minutes and hot pad time. Looking at it one side is scorched brown. Not a big deal on a cheap reflector.....it would be a big deal on FM's FM3V-2!

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great question....I am running an ELE II short body with 4 Emoli's with a FM3V-2 Head. Bulb is a 64623...I only use it in small bursts...5-10 seconds at a time...but have another ELE II on the way that I want to run 8 Emolis with a long run time...was thinking about running the Osram 64657 (250W) bulb with either a KIU or AW's soft start...hmmm :thinking:
Never thought about destroying a reflector....especially an FM3V-2....that would make me :sigh: and get :sick: then :mecry:

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Hopefully FiveMega will see this and chime in. I honestly believe if there are any quality reflectors out there, he has spent the time to ensure his is the best it can be.

The three of them I have (normal, regular variety....dual cam type) and they are all top notch. Even a bulb explosion did not significantly damage the reflector.

Bob E.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also curious as I am about to order the Throwmaster from FM for my 100watt Osram bulb I plan on using to push out 4000+ lumens.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
As I have said a number of times, let heat be your guide. I have talked to Modamag about this very issue, who claims there is a whole other level of reflector surface quality that can be obtained, and which I am not sure if it is beyond what FM has been using. In any case as a general guideline, if the mag head is getting uncomfortably hot, turn off your light and let it cool down. There is the reflector surface, wire insulation, other parts that can suffer damage. Do you really need 3 continuous minutes of 100+W bulb output, as opposed to 6 thirty second blasts with cool downs between? I have cranked some of the highest watt bulbs in a custom Mag, and had zero problems from heat.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of, what's your view on the most wattage you can run for an entire battery burn? I've used my ROP-hi for what must be close to half an hour straight by now.

I also know that Wicked Lasers rates their Torch for a three-minute burn followed by a two-minute cooldown, and that the battery's only good for four such burns with their 100-watt bulb. Also, you know if head-finning actually helps burn time any?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, you know if head-finning actually helps burn time any?

It does help reduce the heat the user feels while holding the light.
I recall reading a thread a few years ago that had time lapse thermal images of a host light body with finning versus no finning and there was a clear difference between the two. The difference wasn't exactly night and day like some might expect, but it was there, none the less.

I think it might have been fivemega who started the thread and posted his findings in the first post.

Have you tried spreading a tiny bit of heat sink compound on the area of the reflector that rests against the head when the bezel is tightened down?

swampgator

Enlightened
Head finning is similiar to fluting of rifle barrels. Many flute a rifle to reduce weight, but an added benefit is that it creates a greater surface area. Greater surface area equals more heat dissipation.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Interesting thread.:popcorn:

I'd also like a few answers.

I have run 64657 in a FM 3" head with no damage, but only in 10-20 second bursts.

No damage...but I know this lamps has bubbled a FM 2" reflector, but that was on a 5 minute run; But that light had a bunch of seramic insulation in it to stop the heat travling down to the cells, so I guess that contained all the heat in the head

I stopped playing with the 64657 for a while till I can find a reflector to cope with it.

I know other components are at risk from heat...but I like to get all the weak links sorted, and the mirror is a big eak link in the chain ATM.

I'd realy like to know what lamps are on the safe side, and whats not.

I have run 64623 and 64633 for a few minutes at a time for years now no problem...but in a flashlight that runs for 5-7 minutes, its not a big deal.

Even ran a 64623 on 2 packs once for about 10 minutes with a cool down in the middle to change out pack.

That was on a Litho ( I assume reflector )

I'm assuming that mag 85's lamps are fine, as never heard of anything bad about then running for a total run....anymore and I cant say for certain, never run an '85 though.

100+W lamps aside...do the IRC lamps like the 65W run cooler than normal?? I'll go and look in a second.

I have chopped up an MR16 reflector and pulled off the lenze, out with the lamp ( well it broke up in bits) , and hacked of the bottom section (that houses the lamp with some glue/ compound,) with a meat cleaver....( bottom had to be removed as 64633 is to long..

I've run that glass "reflector" in a 15.6V, 13 cell, 2D for a 3-4 minutes...beam seemed OK..., but head got HOT...but thats cause the reflectors are semi heat transparent...no Idea if its better or worse than the 2" aluminium ones.

But the Alu ones are fine for this anyway...this was supposed to be for the 64657, but thats to long for the short (modded) MR16...ant tBH the MR16 is not quite right for the mag...

Id be interested in how hot the the 24V 150W lamps get, and if they can be run for extended lengths?

Its not beacuse I have to...but it would be nice to know where we stand...and have the option if needs must.

Here are a few bulbs to ponder:

http://www.osram.com/_global/pdf/Pr...Voltage_without_reflector/64640%20HLX%20e.pdf

64641 bit low power but might be good
http://www.osram.com/_global/pdf/Pr...Voltage_without_reflector/64641%20HLX%20e.pdf

64642: Interesting
http://catalog.myosram.com/zb2b/b2b...ue&country=COM&language=EN&it_p=4050300992129

this looked V intersting IRC:grin2: 600 hours service life. :devil:
http://www.osram.com/_global/pdf/Pr...owVoltage_without_reflector/64292%20XIR_e.pdf

Any others you can think of?

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
I used to collect pocket knives, blades come in all different finishes...one of those being mirror finish. eg ( top one)

http://www.marfionecustomknives.com/images/nemesis.jpg

OK so its said to be hard to do...but I thin alot has to do with the type of steel. Its not like we need fancy edge retaining steel;

So the thing to do would be to have stainless reflectors made...with a mirror finish...eg just polished...then there is nothing to go wrong....No?

I have been chating with a guy that mirrored an alu reflector recently...will see how that goes, but bare alu oxidises...so I hear :thinking:

So who's up for macining a bunch of stainless reflectors?...Don't all shout at once. :naughty:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run the 64623 on a 13 cell pack continuously (for the duration of the battery life) with the FM3V-2 head. I've done this plenty of times and there's no blackening of the reflector at all. The head does get very hot though.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
I run the 64623 on a 13 cell pack continuously (for the duration of the battery life) with the FM3V-2 head. I've done this plenty of times and there's no blackening of the reflector at all. The head does get very hot though.

So where are the beamshots to compare that to the ??? " monkeyboy turbo heed...?

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Not a direct comparison but here are some shots with different camera and different settings:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/186764

My FM3V-2 is currently being used for something else so can't do a direct comparison - sorry.

How much heat/( lamp) is your FM3V currenly running, .........after a briif post/ cool down spell on the 64633 mine is still cowering in the box remembering the 64657 in 10 - 15 second bursts it was running on :crazy:

would love to see your turbo head on the 64657.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much heat/( lamp) is your FM3V currenly running, .........after a briif post/ cool down spell on the 64633 mine is still cowering in the box remembering the 64657 in 10 - 15 second bursts it was running on :crazy:

would love to see your turbo head on the 64657.

With the 64623 (running at around 150W), the head itself gets too hot to hold (but not hot enough to burn). The m@g body just gets warm.

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to run the 64657 :sigh: