OptiVISOR modification (w/photos)

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my modified OptiVISOR. It has a #5 lens, with two additional magnifiers.

* Focal length without the additional magnifiers is about 8"./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
* With the inside magnifier it's about 3 ½", with the outside it's about 4". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
* With both, it's about 2 ¾". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

That black square on top is a piece of the hard plastic velcro type material, the stuff that both sides of it are the same, but it grips itself.
I used to have a white Photon II there, but I cannibalized it for my EliteXRay mod.

I HAD planned on putting a pak-lite there, but the group buy fell through. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif
(*EDIT* It now has a pak-lite mounted, and it works great.*EDIT*)

fc78bef3.jpg

fc78beea.jpg

View showing unmagnified, and (3) levels of magnification.
fc78bee5.jpg

View showing the base magnification, and the additional (2) levels.
fc78bf0b.jpg

IT ROCK 'N' RULES! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

My OptiVISOR now has the pak-lite mounted and receives the coveted 5 out of 5 dentists.
Final note: 5 out of 5 dentists recommend this OptiVISOR mod, for their patients who have OptiVISORs.
fc3fc378.gif
fc3fc378.gif
fc3fc378.gif
fc3fc378.gif
fc3fc378.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: OptiVISOR modification

wow!

now we need a picture of you wearing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Wylie said:
I bet the guy fixing those fried L/Ss could use one of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing as I read that post. That is amazing, isn't it?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

As I said, I was going to put a pak-lite on this visor for close-up work. Does anyone know a suitable substitute for that? Other than a Photon II or III (it had a Photon II on it, and I found turning on to be difficult.), I can't think of any.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i think the arc aaa would be a good choice...

small, with a good runtime.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

hmm, that's too bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif mind telling me why?

then i guess his only options is to have make a permanent led mount /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a couple of Arc AAAs. A UV and an LE. I must say I'm not as impressed with them as most, but the one good working one, I like quite a bit, and it replaced my Streamlight Keymate on my carabiner of keys, and lives there now.
The brand spanking new UV one I just got in B/S/T, seems to have the same problem as the LE I sent in for replacement. But, it turns on most of the time on the first try, for now.

I think the Arc AAA is too long to mount readily on the OptiVISOR, and the twisting of the head to turn it on would certainly pull it out of the velcro-like material.

But while looking into that, I thought perhaps the head of an Arc AAA with watch cells, in some sort of enclosure with a push button switch might work. The beam is wide enough, even at the less than 1 foot distance I would be using it for.
Am I correct that the Arc uses a voltage boost circuit, not a regulator? Would multiple 1.5V cells need to be paralleled to protect the LED?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
The brand spanking new UV one I just got in B/S/T, seems to have the same problem as the LE I sent in for replacement. But, it turns on most of the time on the first try, for now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, since I wrote this the Arc AAA UV has become as bad as my original Arc AA LE. Out of the two Arcs I've had, I've had to send in both for repair/replacement.

The good news is, I now have a pak-lite mounted on my OptiVISOR. It works wonderfully, the switch is easy to get to and turn on dim or bright. It puts the light right where it's needed, and the battery will last a long time between changes.
It is an excellent setup, and I will post photos when I can borrow a camera.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

sounds good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

so you got the pak-lite huh? how do you like it?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like it a lot. It is entirely adaquate for what I'm using it for. Before it was mounted everyone that saw it liked it, but they weren't flashaholic types. With an alkaline on it, and on high, it is a little brighter than an Arc AAA LE. It is obviously underdriven.
Mounted on the Optivisor, the dim setting is bright enough to work with comfortably, as I am using it at about 12" or less. The bright mode puts scads of light on the subject.
The visor can even be used as a headlamp, and if I want, I can remove the pak-lite, and toss it in my pocket for use elsewhere.

I am quite happy with the pak-lite, but there is NO WAY that it is worth $40, or $20 without a battery. I got mine in B/S/T w/alkaline battery, for $10 shipped, and that is a reasonable price for this light.