G2 + Malkoff M60 = Bad Idea...?

Beer

Enlightened
I know that common sense dictates that high power LED's generate alot of heat and that heat needs to go somewhere which is why most drop ins are best run in a metal body light to try and draw the heat away from the sink and pill.

However, I have a G2... and I would like a Malkoff M60 drop in for it...NOT a M60L, but the full bore M60.

I am I just asking for overheating issues with this set up? Would it be better to try to acquire a 6P head for my G2?

Did a short search but did not seem to find anyone with the M60 in a G2 (I know SOMEONE out there has tried it. :D)

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
With extended runtime, a 6P would be ideal. Running it for short periods should be fine in a G2.
If you want to extend the life of your Malkoff, I suggest picking up a 6P though.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I avoided the M60 for my G2's for the very reason you are now concerned. However, I hear for continuous use under 10 minutes, you should be fine. I didn't want to deal with that limitation so I went with DX sku 6090 which draws much less current and runs cooler.

roymail

Enlightened
From Gene Malkoff's website regarding the M60:

Note: This drop-in module was intended to operate at maximum brightness for tactical usage similar to the original setup. Operating the unit for more than 15 continuous minutes in plastic lights may cause damage to the drop-in module. This is not an issue in metal lights.

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
In speaking with Gene earlier last week about this exact topic, he recommended the use of the M60L in the plastic body lights if they are to be used longer than 15 continuous minutes. The M60 can be used in a G2, but it is not the ideal host for it.

Big Bad

Newly Enlightened
I know that common sense dictates that high power LED's generate alot of heat and that heat needs to go somewhere which is why most drop ins are best run in a metal body light to try and draw the heat away from the sink and pill.

However, I have a G2... and I would like a Malkoff M60 drop in for it...NOT a M60L, but the full bore M60.

I am I just asking for overheating issues with this set up? Would it be better to try to acquire a 6P head for my G2?

Did a short search but did not seem to find anyone with the M60 in a G2 (I know SOMEONE out there has tried it. :D)

I use one of Gene's M60's in a G2 that i put a metal head on. I put a little foil between the LA and the head to insure good heat flow, but that is all. Since I had simular concerns I ran the light for about half an hour and by my light meter, it never dimmed and the head never got to hot to hold. I use this one for tactical so I'd likely only use it for short bursts of light anyway, but it does seem to hold up just fine.