Trade in my TIROS T1 for the new reflector version?

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Do it.. The 2008 version of the Inova T1 has the K2 TFFC led in it... It has a flawless beam, nice and warm, good and floody but with decent output and some throw. You wont regret it. It's a perfect torch for outdoors when multi-level isn't needed. Runtime seems pretty good too.

tekguy

Newly Enlightened
the difference is literally night and day comparing the 2. the 2008 t1 is the greatest light i own

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only downside of upgrading I can think of is the old TIROS T1 runs on a single CR123A, and the new T1 requires two.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the reason I want to hang on to the TIROS...

I run my 2008 T1 on a 17670 li-ion. It needs to be an unprotected one, and even then some are too thick. But I finally found one, at DX if I'm remembering right, that squeezes in and works great.

And I agree with the previous comments---the new T1 is a winner.

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trade? Trade? Why would you trade? Would you TRADE your child for another? LMAO! :sick2: (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

I think you will like the new (2008) T-1 MUCH better, but for what little they cost, keep what has worked for you, as a "back-up".

My .02 FWIW YMMV

dixemon

Enlightened
The 08 T1 has a wayyyy nicer beam than its Tiros counter part. Ive owned them all, and currently use the T1 for Mechanic duties. Tough light and can take the abuse.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
any possiblity to trade for other brand/model of similiar price? :grin2: if its similiarly priced in the 1st place.

i have in mind the single cell CR123A Surefire E1L or E1B, both smaller in size too. :poke:

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your funds are limited it might be worth your while the 2008 T1 is a much better performing light than the original.Keep in mind the tints are very different, most T1s look almost like incandescents compared to the old TIROS lights(The 2008 T1 appears white next to an actual incan).If you don't like warm tints the new T1 is not for you.Personally I would keep the TIROS T1 and buy the 08 T1 anyway.

ALSO- make sure it is a 2008 model not a 2007.The 08 and 07 models look identical (both reflectored) but the 07 model isn't very efficient and may not be as bright.

Last edited:

GreySave

Enlightened
I would also keep the original TIROS T1. That nice tight beam can come in very handy depending upon your needs. I love them for use in night searches where you only want to light up a specific area, such as down a driveway, without lighting up the houses on either side. Those zero spill TIROS Inovas are great for that. I have kept my original design XO3 for all of these years because of that and would encourage anyone who has any need to a super tight beam to do the same.

cyberspyder

Enlightened
As some of you know, the tailcap of my T1 is STILL malfunctioning. Inova, after 4 months of silence (grrrr.....
eyeburn.gif
) is offering to replace it with the newest gen T1, or sending me a tailcap. Problem is that this is the second time they've offered this. The first time, the sent me the newer tailcap, which is smaller in diameter, and I didn't hear from them again. What I want to know is that, is it worth replacing a piece of Inova history? Same question as before, should I send it in? What benefits does the newer T1 have over the older one? The throw on the T1 is spectacular, granted it's about 40 lumens only.

Opinions?
gaah.gif

Brendan

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tailcaps are interchangeable among the last 3 generations of Inova T1, including the TIROS version. Perhaps Inova sent you a tailcap for the 2007 or 2008 T2 which is smaller.

The 2007 and 2008 T1s are much brighter and have lots more spill than the TIROS T1, but the newer lights are powered by 2 batteries instead of one. All 3 generations are the same size.

The 2008 T1 has the longest runtime by far -- over 4 hours at 100 lumens.

I would opt for the newer T1 over the TIROS, especially the 2008 T1 MP model.

cyberspyder

Enlightened
!!! Inova made good on the year-long warranty experience I had with them and sent me two lights to 'replace' my T1 TIROS. I got the newer T1's but there's significant battery rattle...grrr