Klarus
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: NEW OLIGHT M20 WARRIOR

Default Re: NEW OLIGHT M20 WARRIOR

Good work!

You should submit that for the reviews forum.

Well...it looks like the position of the LED/emitter is the culprit, if I'm interpreting what I'm seeing correctly.

My next question is whether that can be adjusted or whether it's a case of "once it's in place, it's in place."

I'm wondering whether the black cover/plate that's over the LED can be loosened and removed and then the LED assembly slid over...or is that not an option for this sort of thing? (Or should I say, not an option unless you really knew what you were doing? Which I wouldn't... )

Here's one of my original beam shots followed by macro shots of the LED with and without the reflector.

Those pics clearly show the emitter is off-center.

Not sure if such an issue can easily be fixed. Fortunately for you, I'm not even close to being the best modder on these boards.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Those pics clearly show the emitter is off-center.

Not sure if such an issue can easily be fixed. Fortunately for you, I'm not even close to being the best modder on these boards.
    OK, I'll try to wait patiently. You have enough posts that if you had told me it would work to take an ice pick and jab everything to the left a bit, I might have listened.

that needs a new emitter ...no jabbing will fix that as its inside the dome

also your line isnt as dark as mine but that could be cam difference

you will be the new O-Light warranty tester
    Last edited by qip; 09-07-2008 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    Here is a quick picture of the Olight M20 Premium next to my trusty Fenix T1.

Both lights have OP reflectors, but the M20's deeper reflector gives it a tighter beam and smaller - though brighter spot. The Fenix has the smoother beam when white wall hunting, but the Olight easily out throws it as seen below.

The tree is 60 yards away, both lights are on high and the camera settings are f/2.8 at 2", ISO 64 Daylight ballance

The Fenix T1 OP reflector

Edit: Olight M20 Premium OP

edit
    The Raidfire Spear OP high

Edit: Sorry, my tripod broke last night...and I had to take some new pics using the deck railing as a base... I accidentily deleted the M20 beamshot instead of the Raidfire Spear beamshot...and posted the Spear beamshot as the M20 beamshot. I took a new M20 beamshot tonight and now the captions are correct. The M20 outthrows the T1...but not as much as the Spear...even with the OP reflector.... which easily out throws both lights.

I really like the Olight's ability to be a smaller light than the DBS, Spear etc... but still have respectible throw...even with the OP reflector. This really is an impressive light!!

edit... the T1 is running on 2x123a's...the M20 is on a AW 18650

For those of you who saw my earlier T1 vs M20 beamshots....my tripod broke and I made a mistake... now it is corrected.... sorry.
    "I only smile in the dark...my only comfort is the night gone black..."lyrics from Garbage

Quote Originally Posted by qip View Post
    that needs a new emitter ...no jabbing will fix that as its inside the dome
    Ahh, I thought not.

Thanks for posting those shots. I can see clearly how position of the emitter should appear.

But, I'm wondering about the images you posted...should I be able to click on those and see the larger version? When I do, it leads me to the ImageShack entry page for image uploads, etc. I'd like to see at least one of those (maybe the one with your arrows) a bit larger.

Also, the direction of the light on the "line" in mine might have made it harder to see (I had light coming in from both sides of the head). I can see in a couple of my non-posted photos that the dark line stands out a bit more clearly (as it does in yours photos) when I had the illumination source positioned slightly differently.

varuscelli - whacky - shoot an email to customer service and we'll get you straightened out. *rim shot*

Brad - Throw some 123A's into the M20 and repeat - I'd be curious to see the results.

you will be the new O-Light warranty tester
    Great...that sounds wonderful.

Maybe Matt will see this and pass along his thoughts.

I have to admit it's a bit disconcerting to see how the beam looks when you shine it on a flat surface.

no i didnt set it up for larger image click , thats just imageshacks way of getting you to their site, the bottom left pic is the closest i could manage to get a clear shot of what my red circle was and it was to point out where the wire leads end and that you see it , as where yours you cant see the wire ends as it goes under silver ring to the right

no i didnt set it up for larger image click , thats just imageshacks way of getting you to their site, the bottom left pic is the closest i could manage to get a clear shot of what my red circle was and it was to point out where the wire leads end and that you see it , as where yours you cant see the wire ends as it goes under silver ring to the right
    Ahh, got it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattK View Post
    varuscelli - whacky - shoot an email to customer service and we'll get you straightened out. *rim shot*

Brad - Throw some 123A's into the M20 and repeat - I'd be curious to see the results.
    Hey, Matt DID see it (even as I was busy composing).

Sorry, I was so busy trading replies with qip that yours slipped right past me.

I'll do as you suggest, sir. And thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by varuscelli View Post
    Great...that sounds wonderful.

Maybe Matt will see this and pass along his thoughts.

I didn't want to say it, since I had hoped someone could post a way to fix the problem without calling customer service; but that's what usually happens when an emitter's position is off enough to effect the beam that much.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

But for this one little anomaly (and I'm sure it's accurate to call it that), I've been very impressed with the M20 -- its build, its function, its looks.

I did a bunch of nice shots of it just laid out in one of my little photo areas, and it looks sharp. I'll have to post some of those, too, to show that there's more to what I'm seeing than those "whacky" (as Matt put it) emitter/beam shots.

Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to make some time to do that.

If this is somewhere else and I've missed it, I apologize. Is there a graph posted yet, showing the output vs. runtime on 1x18650?
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

Popcorn Re: NEW OLIGHT M20 WARRIOR

Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    For those of you who saw my earlier T1 vs M20 beamshots....my tripod broke and I made a mistake... now it is corrected.... sorry.
    I talked myself into ordering an M20 Premium after seeing those beamshots. I'll adjust my expectations slightly ...but I'm sure it'll still knock the socks off my lowly L2D Q5 that it's replacing

Matt, I will do that tomorrow night. (house is locked and alarm is on...do not want to wake anyone up turning it off) I did take a couple of pics at 7' against a brown wall to show spill... and adjusted shutter speed until beams were properly rendered... I could not (nor could the camera) notice any difference at 7 feet between the M20 with brand new SF 123a's or an AW 18650 with 20 minutes on it.

I am really happy that there apears not to be a huge difference in output with 18650 batts vs. 123a's, unlike other lights I have had. I will take 2 new outdoor shots tomorrow night (18650 and 123a) and post them.
    "I only smile in the dark...my only comfort is the night gone black..."lyrics from Garbage

I hope it has driver circuit from T20-M not -T because T20-M has quite flat regulation with single Li-Ion.

cool!!
    I plan to get a E2DL but now I am not sure whether the E2DL or the M20.
    Any one have some suggestions? what the advantages and disadvantages?
    Last edited by Milly; 09-09-2008 at 04:18 AM.

Matt,

Please pass along my thanks (and acknowledgment on the forum) of your customer service folks taking care of the LED centering problem encountered on my M20. They got back to me almost immediately and a replacement is already on the way. It's also very considerate of you all to be shipping the replacement in this particular case without first requiring the return of the previous one. (I was told that a return label for the old one would accompany the new one, which is great.) I've already got the first one packed away so it doesn't sustain any accidental bumps or bruises...

Thanks a bunch, Matt.

Sure thing.

M20 is just beautiful...

Wow, that color looks great, phantom23. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Milly View Post
    cool!!
    I plan to get a E2DL but now I am not sure whether the E2DL or the M20.
    Any one have some suggestions? what the advantages and disadvantages?
    The E2DL has a bad clip, too white of a beam, and almost no spill.

Other than that, it's a very well built light.
    "For every good deed, there is an equal an opposite bad deed."

Quote Originally Posted by divine View Post
    The E2DL has a bad clip, too white of a beam, and almost no spill.

Other than that, it's a very well built light.
    The E2DL shares the short clip with a lot of other Surefire models. I own a handful of short-clipped Surefires and have found the clip to be one of the most reliable I have ever used on any light, from any Brand. Brand new, it's a bit of a tight fit. But the clip does loosen up a bit if you EDC the light. Even after that, it still gives good tension when clipped to the front pocket of a pair of pants.

Too white of a beam? That's like saying my girlfriend looks too much like a Supermodel. Aww man, that sucks.

But yeah, nearly no spill is spot-on. (Pardon the pun).

Wow, that color looks great, phantom23. Very cool.
    Thanks. I don't know how and why but some sun and my crappy camera made M20 look brown. It is not in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom23 View Post
    Thanks. I don't know how and why but some sun and my crappy camera made M20 look brown. It is not in real life.
    Hey, that's funny.

On my monitor, it appears to have this really nice olive drab kind of color.

But of course all monitors give a bit of a different color rendition, depending on a great many factors. Whatever the deal is, it sure looks nice on my monitor.

Enlightened

Man, damnit, what the heck, my pocket just got lighter. Just placed my order right now with Matt, olive drab, now the wait begins.

Hey, that's funny.
    On my monitor, it appears to have this really nice olive drab kind of color.
    But of course all monitors give a bit of a different color rendition, depending on a great many factors. Whatever the deal is, it sure looks nice on my monitor.
    I made two pics earlier the same day and it looks slightly different:

And that's the real color.

PS. Difference between UCL in M20 and normal glass in another flashlight. Guess which one is UCL
    Last edited by phantom23; 09-09-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast