Titanium & Carbon Fibre phone from Nokia

Haz

Enlightened
I've just found out that Nokia has a new mobile phone out made with titanium and carbon fibre. We all know how much we like the use of these material. The new phone is the Nokia 8800 Carbon Arte.

It's a very nice looking mobile phone, however the price appears to be on the high side. It's going to be selling for approximately US$1,600

http://www.nokia.com.au/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_1097129

As usual the 8800 series is mainly about style over function, as there are plenty of phones with better functions and features. I don't know if this is a phone that i may try to get in the future. Hopefully the price will drop a fair bit over time, so it is more affordable.

I mainly like the titanium used in the phone, not as much into glass screen and carbon fibre. The glass adds significant weight to the phone, so the overall weight of the phone is 150grams, despite having carbon fibre to lower the weight. I guess the carbon fibre is more about design over functionality as well, but it does add some class to the phone.

Last edited:

Haz

Enlightened
I thought no one was interested, since there was never a reply until almost a year later!
crackup.gif

Boy SureFire

Enlightened
:oops: I guess forgot to check time stamp. I'm shocked that after so long you would still bother to keep tabs, but i guess that's the power of the internetlovecpf

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I am a real proponent for superior materials provided they provide superior service and enhance the phone's ability to function and survive in a less than friendly environment. I took a quick look at the specs and they all seemed to be about the electronics and features having nothing to do with the materials of construction. It seems to me that in many cases phones are retired before their ability to perform falters anyway and I question any gain in utility from this phone. :shrug:

Olympus and some other camera manufacturers are now making small point and shoot cameras that can take some hard knocks and be submersed. IMHO, that would be a direction for some phones to go for the more adventuresome, more demanding or simply less careful, users! :eek:

I recently stepped back from an all in one, touch screen and full keyboard wonder phone to a more durable and simpler design and sure like a phone that is easy to use and doesn't need so much pampering! If it were constructed of Ti and carbon fiber in such a manner that its durability was enhanced, I would certainly consider it along with the premium involved. If it were just trimmed in these materials with no functional gain for the user to make a "statement" then I pass! The hell with making statements, answering and making calls is what I need a phone for. :nana:

JMHO; not that anyone but me cares what my opinion might be.

Boy SureFire

Enlightened
By fare one the best phones I've owned is a unlocked samsung sgh-d600 but I think japan gets the best phones first.

Haz

Enlightened
I didn't get the phone, still over AUD$1,400, USD $1,120, so cannot justify it.

Well said McGizmo, i agree with what you have said.
If the use of titanium strengthens the phone and the carbon fibre lightens the overall weight, then the material is well used. However, it does seem somewhat wasted in this phone, because it actually weighs more than other phones and isn't anymore rugged than other phones.

I would like a rugged mobile, but size is important. I prefer a discreet compact phone over a large one which may have the likes of internet, video calls, pda etc.
I've been looking for one that can take a beating and is water resistant. I prefer a candy bar form factor over a clam shell or slider for durability. So far the ones I have seen, seem more suitable to use with mortar to build houses with rather than the comfort of a shirt or trouser pocket. I'm still looking and hoping to see one that meets this criteria. Although i understand the rugged designs requires it to be bigger than a standard phone, but it's still too big for my liking. I don't mind if it simply takes and makes phone calls only!!!, as long as it's small.

guardpost3

Enlightened
Vertu makes a Ti/Carbon Fiber phone now too, its pretty tough, you can see the tests HERE. :thumbsup:

i would love to get one, but they are about $6000, which is a tad over budget for me :eek: