Hulu.com

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I've been watching Hulu.com a lot and have been impressed with it.
I turned to it after my financial situation took a serious dive (shed a tear and send a dollar) but I'm not sure I'll go back when I can afford Dish again.

This is basically "free" TV with a few 15 or 30 second commercials in a show of any length.
Easy to watch (Hard to skip) and interactive so if you want to learn more you can click on the screen.
Close the site in the middle of a show and it starts up again wher you left off.
Satellite TV pays 10 million for a parking space in spance and tens of millions for the satellite. According to them it's cheaper than renting...
Unlike most things, with Dish (and direct is a lot more expensive) the more people that sign up the more it costs us.

I hold that this is the future of TV and even with my older systems the quality is very good 99% of the time.

What think you?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool. I got an account last year but never registered to check or log in... I just watched a clip and it seems very good.

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
We like hulu a lot. We've been watching stuff on it since it was released. Between that and our Roku box for Netflix, we're rarely without something to watch, that we WANT to watch. :)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been enjoying Hulu for the past couple months. A couple old TV shows, and some of the new ones that I've missed on broadcast due to me working, etc.
At first I thought I was going to hate the commercials. But they're not too long, and there usually aren't too many. (I generally only watch PBS, so I don't ever see commercials in day to day life.)
I'm hoping to see a lot more documentaries put on there, discovery channel stuff hopefully, etc.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another fan of Hulu.

I hear Joost.com is another video distributor with lots of stuff but I haven't tried it as my Mac can't run their player (too old...).

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joost has some really, really odd content. I've looked around a bit and while you can find some good things here and there, the need to download their player is a complete turnoff. No way I'll install junk like that on one of my computers. It's not open source so there's no telling what else could be in there. If they were a respectable company then they'd distribute videos in a format that doesn't require the download of a proprietary player. Too bad. Thanks for pointing out Joost though.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only problem I have with Hulu is that I believe that it's more intended for advertising content, i.e. push people into paying services or make them buy DVDs. Shows are listed, but have only clips. No show has all its episodes posted. Sometimes the selection of missing episodes is telling: For instance "i, Spy", which has all Season 1 episodes, but not the ones with the biggest guest stars, like Martin Landau. I'm not sure if they ever remove content, which distributors do on Joost (as in popular, current running shows, that only have one or two episodes on Joost, which get replaced with newer ones every once in a while).

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only problem I have with Hulu is that I believe that it's more intended for advertising content, i.e. push people into paying services or make them buy DVDs. Shows are listed, but have only clips. No show has all its episodes posted. Sometimes the selection of missing episodes is telling: For instance "i, Spy", which has all Season 1 episodes, but not the ones with the biggest guest stars, like Martin Landau. I'm not sure if they ever remove content, which distributors do on Joost (as in popular, current running shows, that only have one or two episodes on Joost, which get replaced with newer ones every once in a while).

Subscribe to teh shows you like. I have fouond that frequently a whole season will be added to an old show for no apparent reason.
Set the option to have the info emailed when it gets added.
Ask them about this as they are very responive.