N30 abuse

Taboot

Enlightened
My poor N30 has seen better days.

First It was being used as a makeshift light in a gazebo by setting it on a rafter and aiming it at the underside of the roof. My brother-in-law knocked it down accidentally. It bounced off a picnic table (7 or 8 foot fall) and landed (head first) in a huge citronella candle.:shakehead I thought it was dead for sure. Charged it up, no troubles!!

Last night (still waxy:eek:), it was being used to light up my grilling operation when it slid down the front of my truck and landed on it's face on the pavement (4 foot fall). The bezel cracked, the lens popped out, the reflector with the bulb fell out the front and clanked loudly on the pavement. The HID went out. I figured, I definitely killed it this time. I cycled the switch and it came on! It's broken to pieces, so I've got some repair work to do.

I am surprised at how durable HID bulbs are though. It's taken 2 pretty hard hits and still works.

Taboot

Enlightened
Heh heh, thanks Matt. As you know, I just bought the thing a month and a half ago or so. I'm usually not hard on lights at all, but this poor thing has been beaten. Great little light and bright as all get out.

Old Saybrook Mike

BVH

Flashaholic
For me, these are my "beater" lights. Well, you probably could not tell they're my beaters because they look "almost" new. But or me, that's a beater. They take a lickin and keep on working.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh I didn't realize Taboot = Mike. Duh.

Come on by and Jeff will get you straight on some parts when your're ready. :)

Taboot

Enlightened
For me, these are my "beater" lights. Well, you probably could not tell they're my beaters because they look "almost" new. But or me, that's a beater. They take a lickin and keep on working.

Beater? You mean, you don't use the Anti-aircraft light for grilling?

BVH

Flashaholic
Well, OK, I do use the CA for grilling of small birds, bats and insects, but I don't over-cook them. They go about their merry way after they get their site back.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a guy at a local carnival (Westbrook) doing his thing with a 60" CA kight - I'm toying with the idea of hiring him to show up at a CPF/EDC/LEO/FORUMS GTG we're discussing for the fall....but it will KILL out ability to play with lights at night :/

SafetyBob

Enlightened
I know, I was kind of surprised he wasn't using the searchlight too.

Actually, he should have had enought to light up half the nieghborhood.

But in honesty, this sinks my mind into purchasing an N30. Been thinking about getting one for awhile. Figured they were pretty tough and like BVH, most of my beater lights look like they just came out of the package too, but I did not realize it could take anywhere close to that abuse and nice to know there is support at the other end too.

Need to get that LED dropin too for the tail!!

Bob E.

BVH

Flashaholic
We're getting about $350 to $375 for a 3-hour gig in SoCal. I've heard that it's as much as $100 more back there but I don't know that for a fact.

Patriot

Flashaholic
haa...funny story. :)

Just one more reason why it's one of the most recommended lights among CPFers.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're getting about $350 to $375 for a 3-hour gig in SoCal. I've heard that it's as much as $100 more back there but I don't know that for a fact.

It was almost exactly the same - $375/3 hours IIRC. Nice older gent who ran one in his teens and twenties in the service and has had a business doing this for decades apparently. They have 3-4 active rigs that they run and a few more they're willing to sell...I toyed with the idea for about 5 minutes. :)

Taboot

Enlightened
I know, I was kind of surprised he wasn't using the searchlight too.

Actually, he should have had enought to light up half the nieghborhood.

But in honesty, this sinks my mind into purchasing an N30. Been thinking about getting one for awhile. Figured they were pretty tough and like BVH, most of my beater lights look like they just came out of the package too, but I did not realize it could take anywhere close to that abuse and nice to know there is support at the other end too.

Need to get that LED dropin too for the tail!!

Bob E.

I definitely recommend the N30 and MattK/Batteryjunction. Great light and Matt and his crew are a great bunch.

I thought about doing the Cree light replacement on the handle light too. However, after using it, I like the medium/low output and long-running aspect of the stock LEDs.

Mike

Taboot

Enlightened
There was a guy at a local carnival (Westbrook) doing his thing with a 60" CA kight - I'm toying with the idea of hiring him to show up at a CPF/EDC/LEO/FORUMS GTG we're discussing for the fall....but it will KILL out ability to play with lights at night :/

Please let me know about this GTG if it comes to be. :wave: