ArmyTek

Thread: The Eveready Captain

Default The Eveready Captain

I just found this old flash light, it's pretty neat looking. I'm thinking about making it a ROP-Lo. It's a 2D, metal silver light with ridges all the way down the body. Kinda looks like a light saber. Is ROP Lo the best idea for this light?

Thanks
    Vettes and Mags swaggartphotography.com
    In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

Default Re: The Eveready Captain

I can't speak about all vintages, but mine from the late 70's has a plastic reflector and bulb holder. Might work for short runs, but if it has any sentimental value, I wouldn't risk it.

Flashaholic

Yeah, I'd say look at a drop-in PR base LED replacement rather than risk damaging it.

Regards,
    Bob

Here is a link to a thread on how I modded a few Captains:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=158873

You can easily also install a 2-cell Magled module by removing the plastic bulb holder and installing the module with aluminum foil packed around it to hold it into the reflector.

I don't what vintage my Captain is, but it has a metal reflector and glass lens. I'm running a RS KPR 112 on 2 18650s direct drive with a very ghetto battery holder (2 20 cc syringes cut to hold them). I'm planning on dropping in a ROP bulb but haven't gotten around to picking any up.

It, along with a ROV Sportsman, will make a nice sleeper ROP.

I have an older Captain metal 3D light that was my father's. It has a very high quality reflector and throws a pencil beam half a block. I consider it a great vintage torch. I stuck a Krypton bulb in it... wow!
    Skyeye
    "Pay no atttention to that man behind the curtain, he's just a Flashaholic!"

Yep, the Eveready Captains were nice flashlights !

Which switch do you have ?

A push-button, or a slider ?

If it's a Slider, does it resemble a "boat" ?

Please send us a photo or two, if you can.

_

Burgess, it has both a slider for constant on and a momentary button. It has held up well for it's age which is at least 30 years old. No rust or corrosion anywhere. I use this light around the house only as it's fairly unique and I don't want to trash it.
    Here's a pic.
    Skyeye
    "Pay no atttention to that man behind the curtain, he's just a Flashaholic!"

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Yep, the Eveready Captains were nice flashlights !
    Which switch do you have ?
    A push-button, or a slider ?
    If it's a Slider, does it resemble a "boat" ?
    No photos but a boat shaped slider with a round black monetary button in the center.

Flashaholic

Hi Swagg,

If you do use a magled drop-in, you might want to get a 1-inch prong fastener. Coil it to wrap around the dropin. You might need to use a tin-snips to shorten it. This will provide enough springiness to hold the magled in place. You will have direct contact between the batteries and the drop-in. You might be able to slip in a flat piece between the battery and the drop-in to avoid direct contact.

Boxes of 100 1-inch prong fasteners are available for nominal cost from Staples.