What to do with my Aleph 3 head?

JanCPF

Enlightened
I have a very nice Aleph 3 (actually a rare HA-nat) that at the moment contains a Lux III driven at 1A. It's quite a thrower yielding 5000 lux @ 1 meter. Not bad for a Lux but nowadays there is quite a few Cree lights that does this with a smaller reflector and lower current.

So I was thinking. What could be done to upgrade my A3 head?

Would it be possible to build a light engine with a Cree or Seoul to have maximum throw *without* modifying the reflector?

What would you suggest I do with this head (Other than selling it in BST :rolleyes:)

Scattergun

Enlightened
I´d say Seoul it!! Shim the emittor to raise it, and you´ll have a nice focused beam from the Lux-reflector!!

JanCPF

Enlightened
Thanks all for your sugestions (except yours GVS Lakers :whoopin: :D ). What lux reading would I be looking at with a Seoul running at 1 amp do you think?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Jan.
I want to follow this thread as I have the same question. I posted mine today in the McGizmo forum.

Mine is also Nat-HA. I think my driver is 750ma. It's a single cell.

Russki

Enlightened
DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

;)

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats whats so cool about the Aleph III....theres lots of thing to do with them...:naughty::eek::twothumbs:thumbsup:

044.jpg

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Thats whats so cool about the Aleph III....theres lots of thing to do with them...:naughty::eek::twothumbs:thumbsup:

044.jpg

Very nice! You have way too many of them. I'll take one of those for you. I'm not picky, any one of em is cool with me. :grin2:

This is the only one I own.

Img_4668.jpg

Last edited:

JanCPF

Enlightened
Damn thats cool DaFABRICATA! :cool: Please tell me which one of those have the longest throw. Also could you perhaps take a lux reading @ 1 meter of that one? TIA

sunspot and darkzero,
Does your HA-nat A3 head have a very small pin size cavity about 1 mm. in diameter and about 0.2 mm. deep? Chop (who built this head) seemed to remember, that the cavity has something to do with the production method at the time, but he wasn't sure.
a3.jpg

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Neither does mine but mine does have the texure on bottom & smooth on top as pictured above.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
sunspot and darkzero,
Does your HA-nat A3 head have a very small pin size cavity about 1 mm. in diameter and about 0.2 mm. deep? Chop (who built this head) seemed to remember, that the cavity has something to do with the production method at the time, but he wasn't sure.
a3.jpg

I believe the production method in question is the drop test. Not all of them underwent that.

All the ones I have seen did not have the dimple, nor the textured base, but they have all been black.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Ok thanks. Back on track though - what lux reading at 1 meter should I expect from a raised seoul driven at say 1 amp in an A3 lux reflector? Is 15,000 unrealistic?

Jan

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jan, I do not have the dimple on mine. Are most of the Aleph's black? That's always my last choice in colors.
Here's mine. It has a very good color match on the parts and one Tritium vial. NG750 with a TWOK Lux III.

23456789005Medium.jpg

Last edited: