Lithium 18650 Safe Chemistry Performance Shootout @ 5, 10, 15 Amps - AW Added

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I just did a CBA-II discharge shootout of the safe Lithium chemistries that I have discussed in other threads, such as this one. Thumbnail images, and graphs with detail capacity and how they hold voltage at 5, 10, & 15 Amp discharge rates. The factory capacity specs (as one might expect) are more optimistic than reality shows.

None of these other 6 cells have a protection circuit in them. They were all taken from various battery packs as described in this thread. I just added the nice performing AW IMR-18650 sold in this thread for $9

The cells started at room temp. They did not got warm with 5 Amp test, but all got warm/slightly hot (80-90° F) at 10 Amp discharge test.

At the 15 Amp discharge they got HOT, reaching peak temps listed below (verified by laser thermometer & Fluke 179):
Sony VT - 115° F
Sanyo - 125° F
A123 - 125° F
Sony V - 135° F
Emoli - 135° F

AW - 133° F

Added Sony V & VT label images. See AW's sales link or post #5 below images.

5Amp.jpg

10Amp.jpg

15Amp.jpg

Last edited:

AW

Newly Enlightened
Re: Lithium 18650 Safe Chemistry Performance Shootout

Let me throw in some test results of my own brand of Li-MN 18650s. These are designed for flashlight use with a featured button top for better cell to cell connection. Discharge graph shown a pair of cells for consistency test from 3A to 15A :

AWIMR18650-2.jpg
Legend.jpg

Last edited:

Rommul

Enlightened

Thanks.

This is very helpful.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Let me throw in some test results of my own brand of Li-MN 18650s. These are designed for flashlight use with a featured button top for better cell to cell connection. Discharge graph shown a pair of cells for consistency test from 3A to 15A :

AW, what is your timeframe on these? Also, can you perhaps narrow the CBA display ranges for graph, as I cannot read your legend. I set my display graph properties to display from 2.00V to 4.200V & from 0 Ah to 1.7 Ah. (Photo size 800 pixels wide)

So it sounds like yours are going to do better than either Emoli or Sony/Sanyo/Konion ? That would be an amazing accomplishment, given their resources !!! I'm not doubting you, just amazed that the "big guys" can be outperformed.

AW

Newly Enlightened

Photobucket is limiting my picture size to 799 x 438 so I can't make it bigger. I would say the performance of these cells are on par with the Konion V cells ( both rated 1600mAH ).

IMR18650-1.jpg

shakeylegs

Enlightened

Lux - thank you for this very helpful data. Excellent work.

AW - Wawaweewahhhh, very exciting to see your new bats! Do you have a time frame for availability?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Ahhh that's better...what was confusing me was the 3A being at bottom of legend that I though was referring to 15A set of lines. FYI bottom "X" axis has ranges of 0.2Ah increments

AW

Newly Enlightened

Yeah I was too lazy and I decided to add the 2C tests when I finished the 5A / 10A / 15A tests.

J.D.

Newly Enlightened

AWIMR18650-2.jpg
Legend.jpg

Pretty impressive :)
are you planning to offer those ? :poke:

AW

Newly Enlightened

Don't want to hijack this thread so I won't discuss anything that 'll promote my new cells.

Lux, you may want to do a 15A test on those cells and pay special attention on the temperature because they 'll heat up by a margin ( even though all of them have a very low internal resistance ~30mOhm ). There is a reason why the 26500/26700 cells are using paper wrappers.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Don't want to hijack this thread so I won't discuss anything that 'll promote my new cells.

Lux, you may want to do a 15A test on those cells and pay special attention on the temperature because they 'll heat up by a margin ( even though all of them have a very low internal resistance ~30mOhm ). There is a reason why the 26500/26700 cells are using paper wrappers.

AW, I started this thread to keep educating people on these safe chemistry cells, and if you have them coming for sale, please give details here as desired so it is all in one place. Otherwise people have to harvest these from various tool packs.

As a general guideline, most of the tool pack sources are averaging about $8-10/cell from Ebay sales (only get new packs & after EBay seller reputatin is verified by ratings), although there is a 20 cell Bosch 36V pack that used to be selling for $73 with free shipping from Amazon...which now almost doubled in price. Glad I got some last week. Then there is the need for a security hex wrench to remove screws, and careful pulling apart cells without shorting or damaging anything, and the time cleaning them up. :eek:oo:

Thanks for heads up on the heat. I wish the CBA-II also stored temp profiles for graph since it displays it live. For the first round of these tests, I just charged them all in a Pila IBC charger until green light. Except charged two A123 in series with Hyperion 1210i using that A123 profile.

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm trying to understand the excitement about these cells from a practical point of view.

From a brief back of the envelope calculation I estimate that one of the high drain subC NiMH cells has about the same volume as an 18650 and has about the same energy storage in watt-hours (perhaps a little less than the best LiMn cells, but not much).

On the positives for subC they have an even higher current capability, and three in series have a lower internal resistance than one LiMN cell. They have a more convenient form factor for mounting in a flashlight tube and a series pack is more convenient to charge with no need for balancing taps. By and large they are cheaper and more readily available, even considering the higher quantity needed to make up a pack.

On the positives for the lithium chemistry are the higher voltage, meaning fewer cells are needed to provide the voltage for big incans.

What am I missing? Where do the safe lithium cells win over NiMH?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

...What am I missing? Where do the safe lithium cells win over NiMH?

Well, several things...but I don't discount your questions about them. Nothing is perfect for all purposes.
1) Safe Lithium chemistry vs. cobalt. I no longer have the fire/explosion concern with them.

2) Has higher 3.7V, so roughly equal to 3 x NiMH. Charges with more commonly available Lithium Ion/LiPo chargers. A123 brand ideally should be charged with approved charger for its lower 3.3V nominal level.

3) Gives the needed 5-15A output which is more than adequate for our hand held Elephant Mags. Granted, if you are building a hand held spotlight (i.e. Larry14K) you may need more amps from SubC.

4) Smaller form factor diameter than SubC allows more options in small diameter lights. Parallel configurations can give more reasonable mAh capacity. The overall energy per cubic centimeter may be similar, but how many of the 23mm diameter SubC's will fit in our lights? Contrast that with 4 wide of the 18650 which fit in Elephants.

5) These are relatively inexpensive. I have got some as cheap as $4 each, but average price is more like $8. Actually, the high current output NiMH of decent quality like Elite brand for only 1.2V is relatively expensive, since you need 3 x NiMH to get the same voltage. Elite 4000 SubC are $5 each; Elite 5000 SC are $7 each (plus shipping). The SC's still need to be condition balanced periodically if made into a pack.

6) Can charge these Safe Lithiums in series without balance taps, although I am collecting information on voltage balances with multiple series charge/discharge cycles in FiveMega & Modamag battery holders without balance taps.

7) Pretty high abuse tolerance of these lithium cells, although overdischarging should be avoided.

8) Light weight relative to Nickel based cells.

9) Tolerate fast charging pretty well

10) Except at extremes, pretty low heat with charge/discharge.

11) Supposedly has hundreds of charge/discharge cycles.

12) No Self-Discharge

Having said those points, there are also real limitations, such as:
1) Less mAh than Lithium Cobalt

2) Should ideally be balance charged

3) Are not protected (mainly from over discharge)

4) Less available than Li-Co or NiMH

5) Limited form factor in Li-Ion to 26700 or 18650 sizes.

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened

Forgive the dumb question but Whats the reason for the paper?/ obviously something to do with temperature...

But alot of people pull of the card, and re wrap with capton tape...including myself for some mods, should that not be done?

Questions aside :

Great Thread Lux!!!

And Good Effort On the Cells AW.

AW

Newly Enlightened

The bigger cells in power tool packs may heat up to 70-80 degree C under pulse loading of 40+ Amps. Regular shrink wrap will shrink more at this temperature posing a risk of exposed metal casing and a short. Cardboard will sustain higher temperature without any issue.

mdocod

Flashaholic

Thank You Lux and AW for posting these results....

I was initially concerned that the alternative lithium-manganese cells popping up in packs, (like the newer Ryobi you tore open) might be of lesser quality, but after looking at your charts, for practical purposes, there appears to be very little difference to be concerned about.

Eric

SilverFox

Flashaholic

I have added this thread to the "Threads of Interest" at the head of this section so we can keep track of it.

Tom

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Thanks Tom! For reference, I bought the Bosch 36V pack with 20 x Sony cells, and these present yet another version of Lithium Manganese cell from the ones I listed in first post. This is green model SF-US18650-VT which looks almost identical from initial shown US18650-V model.

However these two Sony models apparently have different mAh capacities from each other, and different discharge performance rates. Initial reports (& from Sony's website) claims the "VT" model has 1100mAh, whereas "V" model is 1500mAh.

I will test these Bosch pack "VT" models at 5 & 10 Amps and add to above performance curves. I also plan to do 15A discharge rates on all these cells.