Mini-Mag (2AA)...Nice, bright and....yellow?

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
I decided to start carrying my Mini-Mag 2AA light in addition to my CMG Ultra mainly for when I need distance. Its been sitting a while, so I gave it some fresh batteries. The light is bright but is also yellow. I seem to recall mini-mags in the past doing this. Is there anything to be done about this, or just something to get used to? Thanks.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
all incandescents are yellow to a certain extent, even high pressure xenon bulbs. you can put a filter on the lens, similar to the kind some people put on car headlights to whiten the beam of their headlights, or you can get a led replacement module for your mini maglite. i'd get the opalec newbeam for the fully regulated runtime if i were you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Even with new batteries the 2AA will be much more yellow than a white LED. A xenon lamp like the PT Rage will be considerably whiter than the 2aa, and much brighter too. Or you could get a Luxeon light, either now or when they get cheaper.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the fit & feel of the MiniMag...but their output with the stock bulb IS pathetic, at best. If you want to keep it incandescent, buy some Brinkmann Nexstar bulbs. They'll just about double the output of the stock Mag bulb. But like chamenos suggested, try an LED or luxeon retrofit in your MiniMag. There's a LOT of good options to be found. I have 2 MM's with Inretech adapters, and another one with one of Lambda's Ill Pills. If you use your MM for more throw, then you'll probably want to go with a luxeon over the NewBeam...it's a NICE flood, but not much throw. Keep the MM...they're good quality devices, but you can dramatically improve it's output quality with other "bulb" options! Also, do a search for Badboy and MadMax. Their output is very impressive...FYI

PJD

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I agree with PJD. The Mini-Maglites are well constructed, but their output is pathetic at best. They were the "thing" back in the 80's, but they've simply fallen behind the times. I've got 2 of them sitting somewhere in my house collecting dust, and I'm seriously thinking of getting an Opalec NewBeam module for one of them them so I can put it to some decent use. For what they cost, Maglites aren't bad, but it's time to bring them into the 21st century.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
As my old friend Chamenos has suggested the MM with an Opalec Newbeam LED conversion is just a completely different light! I got rid of all my MM's and accessories a few years back after I discovered SureFires but I then realised that if I wanted a pure white light with long run time there was very little choice available which was easily obtained and robust. After seeing an ad for the Opalec I thought I'd try one! I had to buy a new MM but as they are easily obtained almost anywhere in the world at reasonable prices, what the heck! The Newbeam was a revalation very bright, pure beam with no artifacts! Altough its distance is less than the old incandescent bulb it is not by very much. The + is that the beam is now a flood and it will easily illuminate the track in front of you really clearly. The fact that battery life shoots up to up to 10 hours with a nearly 100% beam for most of that time is a real God send in some situations. I have also experienced no problems with ruggedness or water resistance using my MM in this form and would highly recommend the good 'ol MM and Opalec to anyone.

Doug

DHCrocks

Newly Enlightened
I got a InRetch for my minimag just to try out a Lexeon and see what all the hype was about. I figured I'd try this one first since it was resaonably priced, only $25 shipped. I gotta tell you that it is well worh the price, it blows away the stock minimag bulb in brightness and whiteness and it throws pretty far too. It may not be the brightess option out there but I think it's a good value for the money. The beam is also very smooth and easy to use as a close work task light.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
What's an InRetch and where do you get them? tx

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a drop in Luxeon Star module that replaces the Mag's incandescent bulb, available here.

Also check out Dat2zips Sandwich Shop for the Madmax & Badboy Luxeon modules.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we have grown up, we have all got used to the light color from flashlights and accepted that light as "White", our eyes naturally tell us that it is "White"

The light coming from the incandescent bulb is approx 2600K (5400F), and as you know - is made by heating up a piece of Tungsten (Correct name Wolfram); its really hard to get it to go much higher since Tungsten melts at approx 6200f

When LEDs came on the scene with output of 4500-7000k, they are REALLY "White" and made our flashlights look "Yellow"

Its amazing when people look at our display case at the shows - which has both the Incandescent/LED side by side, and see "Wow - there is a difference"

Note: I have to put in a new incandescent bulb into the demo case just about every show !

LEDs are not perfect for all applications, but they such make reading things easier and nicer than incandescents; I have a friend that works at Intel and says that all the other technicians borrow (steal) his LED-Flashlight so that they can read chip numbers and printing on the motherboards since the color is so much nicer than the flashlights they have

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
richard, let me let you in on a little secret: not many cpfers carry unmodified minimags /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

if you're looking for throw, then a led is probably not what you want.

a pelican m6 is a cheapish light, but very bright and has an amazing throw, you might want to look into that.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A fellow I have contact with from time to time carries around a stock Mini. We had time to kill waiting on a third party so I showed him my Mini with Madmax. He said wow! He compared it to his light and it was no contest! He also very much liked the Ram clickie on the back of my Mini. I said I got the Ram at Frys. He thought I said the LED came from there as well but I set him straight.

He says he can get on internet but I don't think he will. Pity!

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's too bad on the Ram, the depressor's so far out that it's prone to accidental triggering...

arioch

Enlightened
I second getting an Inretech white adapter for the MiniMag; it changed an unused light of mine into one of my edc's. I do have two semi-complaints, though. I bought one after reading on the IRT website about their new batch of extra white LED's. after buying one, I still noticed a slight greenish tint on the outer rim of the beam. I also had some problems with the dimming of the light using the Kroll tailcap switch. Requires some playing with it occasionally to get the full brightness working. However, the IRT adapter is heads and tails better (brighter and whiter) than the OEM incandescent bulb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading on the various LED kits for the minimag. They seem like a really good idea. So now I am left trying to decide which one. The Inretech and bb400(i think thats it) look promising. Any info I could get on those would be great. Thanks.

Catapult

Enlightened
The InReTech AA is direct drive and good runtime, with decreasing brightness over the life of the batteries. The BB400 is regulated for constant brightness, but shorter runtime. Do it the CPF way. Get 'em both! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a side note, you cannot use rechargeable NiMH or NiCd in the inretech adapter. The luxeon will be very dim. For the price, Inretech is a good deal. However, it is the best for you to get 'em all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see why not, unless you're feeding it 7.2V or something... I've ran my BB400 and BB500 off of NiCads, NiMHs, Li-AAs, and a single 3.6V Copia 168B... Works fine.