About the 6PL and G3L

Till

Newly Enlightened
I don't understand how these lights have the same lumen output.

The 6PL (which I own) operates on two 123s while the G3L operates on 3. They both use the P60L lamp, but shouldn't the G3L (I don't own) produce more lumens since it uses 3 batteries?

I know there's a difference in the runtime, but is one's 80-lumens brighter than the other's, or...?

rycen

Enlightened
They are the same output gut a longer runtime with the third battery.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe I read the the P60L was indeed regulated, hence the same brightness level (w/ fresh batteries). I prefer the G3 though...after about 15 minutes. they both drop from there highest rating of 80...the 2 cell drops to about 75 lumens for about 1.5-2 hours, and then bottoms out, but the G3 has about 65 lumens for 5-6 hours...so, that third battery isn't being wasted. I prefer the 65 lumens with the 5-6 hours runtime...you'r getting 75 lumen hours per battery with the 6PL and 130 Lumens hours per battery with the G3L.

superflytnt

Enlightened
Go to SF's website and download their 2008 general illumination catalog. There is actually a runtime graph of these two lights a little over half way through. Essentially, the 6P is brighter (75 vs 65L) for the first 3 hours and then drops out of regulation while the G3L keeps on at 65 for nearly 6 hours. I believe that the 6P's all aluminium body lets it run at a higher level while the G3L only has an aluminium head and so can't dissipate the heat as well and so it's throttled down a bit to compensate. This also leads to better runtimes..........

Last edited:

dmz

Enlightened
Is there a big weight difference between a G2L and a G3L?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The G3L is 34% heavier then the G2L(5.50 oz vs 4.10 oz), but I'm not sure if that is with or without batteries(numbers from the Surefire site).

As the above members have explained, the P60L has a circuit that sends a preset current to the LED so as long as the input voltage is within the rage of the driver in the P60L, then the output will stay unchanged(as long as the heat is not too high, the driver can adjust current if the LED is running too hot). Since there is 1 more battery in the G3 then the G2, the G3L will run longer then the G2L. The battery is for more regulated runtime.

The G2L runs for around 3 hours regulated, the G3L runs for around 6 hour regulated.

matt0

Enlightened
This is the runtime chart that superflytnt was talking about. Directly from the 2008 Illumination Tools Catalog

p60lruntimesip0.png

davedds

Newly Enlightened
What about a p60L in a 9P body, running 3xcr123's? Would the run times be similar to the G3???

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have said electronic regulation= same output over a wide voltage range. Usually for LED drop-ins it's around 3.7-9 volts. further the P60L is thermally regulated, dropping in power as heat increases, which is why the nitrolon bodies have longer runtimes but lower output.