Q about a DD P7 Mag. (Pics added)

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother has charged me with modding his 4D Mag. He wants an LED which is very bright, but still has practical runtime. This is going to be single level only. He doesn't speak Lumens, but I'm going to assume that 500-600 lumens will be "very bright" to him. It seems like I could get away with directly driving a P7 with four D cells, but I'm wondering if some sort of resistor is needed.

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Q about a DD P7 Mag.

Those pictures are very helpful. It seems from that thread that DD is no problem, but I want to keep it around 2A so as not to tax the four D cells too much. What kind of hardware would I need to do that? Simple resistor? Board?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

The simplest way is 3 NiMH cells and direct drive. The other simple way is the 2800 mA drivers sold by KaiDomain, it's good quality for what it does:
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1770
That one works with both 3 and 4 NiMH cells and it's a simple one mode on-off.

Der Wichtel makes custom drivers of high quality, custom work cost money. It's also a bit trickier to wire.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, assuming you really do mean "direct drive", and want it in a 4D Mag, and want to run the P7 at about 2A, then you will want to install, say, a 0.68 ohm, 5 watt resistor.

That assumes you're using NiCad or NiMH. If you're sticking with alkalines, I simply could not recommend direct drive at all. The voltage (and therfore the drive current) varies WAY too much, no matter what resistor you use.

Mettee

Enlightened

I have not received all of my drivers for my P7 mods yet, so I got impatient and wired it direct drive with the 8 month old duracells that were in the light and it worked great. Not sure if it should have, but it does.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Met, that info helps. My brother and I have agreed to go the NiMH route eventually. For now I'm going to just run it on alkies to see if it actually works. Thanks again.

Mettee

Enlightened

I am still on my first set of alk bats. They are still going pretty strong. They are a cheap knock off version of the duracell industrial version cells. I am going to get the tenergy bats soon.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey everybody. I just completed the mod and would like to thank you all for your help. Big thanks to StefanFS for the pictures and to Mettee for the feedback. My brother is duly impressed with the output.

Mettee

Enlightened

very cool and you are welcome. I am new to this as well but I am getting into it. I am building a few with osrams now. Next thing I am going to try is a triple P7.

We should post up some pics in this thread of our builds/rookie builds :)

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pictures!

Some quick pics:

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

"Home Sputtered" reflector:
IMG_0786.jpg

And the beamshot it makes:
IMG_0787.jpg

irv_usc

Enlightened

Hey everybody. I just completed the mod and would like to thank you all for your help. Big thanks to StefanFS for the pictures and to Mettee for the feedback. My brother is duly impressed with the output.

just curious, but are you direct driving the p7 with 4 D alks?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

just curious, but are you direct driving the p7 with 4 D alks?

I am, but it's only temporary until my brother gets a good NiMH D cell set and charger. I doubt the alkies will give more than ten minutes of full output.