Laser Engraved Aspheric M@g Mod

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing new here, just had a request to build one of my Laser Engraved M@g's into a thrower.

To keep the price down, I used the following:

1) M*g CREE Q5 LED Drop-in from kaidomain
2) 01LAG123 Aspheric lens from MELLES GRIOT
3) Laser Engraved 3D M@g from HERE

IMG_6603.jpg

IMG_6606.jpg

I used the M@g circlip to retain the Drop-In
IMG_6611.jpg

I trimmed the reflector to fit Inside the head
IMG_6613.jpg

And used a drum sander and rotary file to open up the bezel.
IMG_6616.jpg

IMG_6617.jpg

It runs off of ordinary 3D Alkaline batteries.

Nice fun easy project!
IMG_6627.jpg

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job. Was this picture taken with the reflector in place? When I tried a reflector/lens combo it had a lot of rings in the beam. Also is the lens you got AR coated?

So how about some outdoor night shots?:poke:

That picture was with the reflector/lens combo. I like it installed, it gives a little spill around the intense hotspot, it does have artifacts. Without it, I get a hotspot, with a ring around it.

I did not opt for the AR coating, Melles Griot charges too much for it.

I'll get some outdoor beams this next week, I don't think you will be impressed though compared to your DEFT, at 100 yards, the projected die is probably 25'x25' (just a rough guess) I'd like it to be a laser beam! I can meet you somewhere for some comparative shots:poke:

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Please tell me exactly how you had that laser engraved. It looks like a perfect paint mask was applied and not laser eched, or is it the camera tricking us?

I love the flames and have a buddy that got a 4 axis laser to do stuff like this and more.....

Bob E.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please tell me exactly how you had that laser engraved. It looks like a perfect paint mask was applied and not laser eched, or is it the camera tricking us?

I love the flames and have a buddy that got a 4 axis laser to do stuff like this and more.....

Bob E.

Bob,

It is definitely Laser Etched. The laser burns off the anodizing, and the aluminum oxidizes to give the nice white color. The artwork is set up as a vector file in CorelDRAW, and sent to the laser. It is not a 4 axis, so only the flat areas can be done, and the lite is rotated about the axis.

Here is some info on the machine. http://www.epiloglaser.com/

IMG_6345.jpg

I may take you up on that offer. Thanks.

PM Sent