How long will a Q5 last at 1400ma?

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
I would have no worries myself at running a cree at 1400ma as long as it was directly mounted to a copper heatsink of a decent size like the alluminium heatsinks used for modding the D size mags.

I would still expect over 1000 hours without to much degredation of the LED. This is totally my own opinion and not based on any testing.

Maybe someone on here has done some testing or has one that has been running at a similar current for a while.

lightforce2

Enlightened
I.ve been running a Q5 at 1.6ah in my "experimental" Tiablo A9 for the last 2 months, (30min each night mainly on high power)

the Q5 ran flawlessly:)
but the clicky switch burnt out:shakehead

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great.

How about 4 Q5s @1400ma and a P7 @ 2800ma on a custom made aluminium sink that fits in a C cell Mag thats submerged in 11-20deg C water?:thinking:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great.

How about 4 Q5s @1400ma and a P7 @ 2800ma on a custom made aluminium sink that fits in a C cell Mag thats submerged in 11-20deg C water?:thinking:

What's the method of attachment to the heatsink, the mass of the heatsink, the surface area of the heatsink interfacing with air, the air's temperature, the mass of the water, the ability of the water's container to dissipate heat, the surface area of the heatsink exposed to the water, and the thermal resistance of the heatsink's coating? All these factors (and no doubt some others) determine the temperature of the LED die.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Method of attachment is thermal glue. The mass of the heat sink, well given its going into a C cell Mag lite im sure you could imagine how big it is. There is no air its submerged in water (except for the small amount of air in the Mag). The mass of water? Pacific ocean or small lake. I doubt it would make any diffrence.

I dont really need a totally scientific calculation done. Just want to know if anyone has had any problems with running this many LEDs in a mag at high current.

ergotelis

Enlightened
As long as it is well fixed on the heatsink the led, assuming also the fact that it will be in the water, then no problem.Water is excellent for heat conducting.