Are my maha Powerex cells too old?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a feeling they are not getting the full charge. That's Powerex 2700 mAh.
The cells are 1.5 years old. Not sure how many charges on them.

Fenix L2D just doesn't seem as bright as before. Maybe I should try Eneloops or L91's for a change.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Powerex 2700s made it between a year and 18 months before they all went to crap. Used them in a L2D and the batteries started to get a high self discharge and voltage sag under load.

Recycled all the 2700s and went with Eneloop 2000s. No problems with any of the Eneloops 18 months later. No worries and no regrets.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say not as bright as before do you mean that it is not as bright as before as soon as it is switched on or when it has been running for a while?

If the L2D is not brighter on turbo than it is on high mode then the cells are not good.

However as Anders says using a luxmeter is the best way to tell as the eye is poor at noticing differences. If you have 2 L2Ds you could try them out side by side.

Below par cells should still give good brightness on the L2D for a short while unless they are really run down.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems a few months ago the L2D was brighter.
It almost seems like a problem with the lite itself.
I will try some Eneloops today and confirm if they do any better or not.

I have about a dozen of them laying around just for emergencies.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you used a brighter light recently? Sometimes your mind plays tricks and makes you think the older light has gotten "dimmer" once it's gotten used to a brighter flashlight.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, that's exactly what happened. I just got a Princeton Tec headlite, modded with that cool P4 module. That thing kills the Fenix L2D. Once I went back to L2D, the difference was obvious. Granted this is not the latest Q5 version, but still.

I wonder if Q5 Fenix can compete with P4 PT Apex headlite but that's a subject for a different time and got nothing to do with cells used.