Newb ? on RCR123A's

RGB_LED

Enlightened
According to the link you provided, the Tenergy RCR123s have... [FONT=arial, helvetica]"Full PCB protection against: Over-Discharge, Over-Charge, Short Circuit & Over-Current along with voltage regulation." They are protected, so don't worry.

Btw, using unprotected Li-Ion's are not necessarily dangerous - you do have to be careful about overcharging them and overdischarging them - which is something that you should also be careful with for the protected cells as well. If you want more info, check out mdocod's two threads...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201375
[/FONT]https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hi coyote223!!

Welcome to CPF!

which flashlights are you going to use them in?

They (the 3.0V tenergy RCR123s and cells like them) are not direct replacements for CR123s for voltage sensitive devices like direct driven bulbs, They are best suited for flashlights that have a range of voltage tolerance- usually in LED lights with regulation circuitry. For many flashlights, it makes more sense to just use the 3.7V cells as they will have more available watt-hours of energy storage- but this depends on the flashlight :)

Eric

coyote223

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. At present, I was planning on using them in a Milky Lcx (Cree extreme). Possibly with the Malkoff M60 drop ins I bought for my Surefire's also. If thats not a problem.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I don't see any reason they wouldn't work in those lights, but I don't know anything about the Milky light, he's made a lot of neat creations over the years, but I haven't really kept up with all of them :)

The M60 will have better runtime on the 3.7V style cells. But the ones you have will be fine for now. Just keep in mind that the 900mAH label capacity is pretty inflated, expect maybe around 500mAH give or take.

if you do buy 3.7V cells in the future, make sure not to use the charger that came with your 3.0V cells on them. It will overcharge 3.7V cells and increase the risk of fire/explosion/premature cell failure etc.

Eric