For the first time, Eneloops let me down

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is AAA Eneloops.

I was under the impression Eneloops NiMH could be used anywhere that alkalines are used.

I used them in the TV remote (For Sharp HDTV)

The buttons are slow to respond, and after a few weeks stop working completely. I recharged them and the same thing happened again after maybe 4 weeks. Weird. I thought there was something wrong with the remote or TV. I know that Eneloops don't discharge anywhere that fast and channel surfing doesn't take that much power.

Tried Alkaline AAA and boy do they work much better. Programs switch much faster.

I am shocked that AAA Eneloops discharge that fast. Or maybe the remote control needs higher voltage than Eneloops can provide, which are at 1.3V typically or lower. Fresh off charger, they are something like 1.45V and work almost OK but quickly drop to the 1.2-1.3 range which does not work.

Seems like a totally bad application for Eneloops. As one data point.

YMMV...

Citivolus

Enlightened
It could be in the design of the remote. If the IR LEDs have a Vf of 2.4V or greater or there is diode protection against reverse polarity, and there is no boost circuit, they would fail to work. I doubt that many remotes have a boost circuit.

Eric

Foxx510

Enlightened
It's probably more a case of the remote needing a certain voltage to work properly, I've heard of this happening before. Remotes and clocks are both devices where I think alkalines are more suitable than rechargeables.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 4 Eneloop AAA cells in my Harmony 659 remote. The batteries have been in it now for at least 6 weeks. No problems yet.

The Harmony eats about 4 AAA cells every two months, so it makes sense to use rechargables in it. I've also used ROV Hybrid AAA cells in it with no problems.

mdocod

Flashaholic
under extremely subtle loads of a remote, it's possible that the alkalines will make more sense and work better- like other have said, more voltage to work with under these laods...

It has been my experience, that when an alkaline is discharged very very slowly, and in small little chunks (not a continuous drain), the voltage keeps rebounding. I can't recall the technical term for it, but it's like a surface capacitance effect. All batteries exhibit some of the behavior of capacitors when a load is first applied.

I've personally found that the use of rechargeables in most remotes is a waste of the rechargeable. Since it seems we only replace those alkalines maybe once every 6 months to a year or so.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Your remote is reading the Eneloops as not supplying the proper voltage, much like our direct driven incan lights that might need, for example, 3 Alkaline cells to drive a light at decent output awhile, but supply that same light with three NiMh cells and the light will barely turn on.

Bill

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
much like our direct driven incan lights that might need, for example, 3 Alkaline cells to drive a light at decent output awhile, but supply that same light with three NiMh cells and the light will barely turn on.
What direct drive incan lights are those? Almost all direct drive incan lights I've seen have bulbs that are rated for 1.2V per cell, so a three cell bulb would be rated for 3.6V.
:popcorn:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
As battery-o-holics, we all want to use rechargelables in everything.

Remotes seem to need 1.4V-ish at very low current. No NiMH will do that, except for a few minutes hot off the charger. Not even an Eneloop.

But we still want to use rechargeables.

It CAN be done.

The solution to the dilemmna is a rather Canadian one.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if I should use Energizer Lithiums in the remote control, instead of AAA Eneloop. Does that make sense?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would you want to use lithium instead of alkaline? Alkaline already last forever in remotes, and lithium cost at least 8x as much.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would you want to use lithium instead of alkaline? Alkaline already last forever in remotes, and lithium cost at least 8x as much.

To get more run time. Might be more cost-effective too? You don't think?
Don't forget, these are AAA, not AA cells, with much lower capacity. I fail to understand why they love using AAA cells in remotes.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer Lithium AAA: Make sense in remote control?

Lithiums or Alkalines in remote controls?

Eneloop AAA fail terribly.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Energizer Lithium AAA: Make sense in remote control?

No. You aren't going to have any use for any of their improvements. Just use alkalines - they'll be much cheaper and work about as good.

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened

I have seen a slight improvement in my remote from using lithium AA's. I have a RCA IR remote transmitter that sends the IR signal into my entertainment unit cabinet where I have most of my components. The IR sender works good, but it is not very sensitive. Some remotes work better than others. Unfortunately the universal remote I prefer works the worst of all. I put in some lithium AA's a few months back and have noticed that the range is slightly improved over fresh alkalines. It improved to the point that instead of sitting up and extending my arm towards the IR transmitter I can continue sitting back and extend my arm normally.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have seen a slight improvement in my remote from using lithium AA's. I have a RCA IR remote transmitter that sends the IR signal into my entertainment unit cabinet where I have most of my components. The IR sender works good, but it is not very sensitive. Some remotes work better than others. Unfortunately the universal remote I prefer works the worst of all. I put in some lithium AA's a few months back and have noticed that the range is slightly improved over fresh alkalines. It improved to the point that instead of sitting up and extending my arm towards the IR transmitter I can continue sitting back and extend my arm normally.

Careful, with all that extra power, you may end up changing channels on your neighbor's TV.

AMRaider

Enlightened

I use lithium AA's and AAA's in my remotes. They do cost a bit more than alkalines, but they are less prone to leaking. They are probably over-kill for such a low-drain device, but I figure if it will protect my stuff against leaking, I may as well go for it. Although lithium's biggest advantage over alkalines is higher capacity at higher drain's, they do also have a slight advantage even at lower drains. Cheers.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I wonder if I should use Energizer Lithiums in the remote control, instead of AAA Eneloop. Does that make sense?

Use alkalines in your remote control devise. They are perfect for low drain applications, and Energizer Lithiums are not perfect for low drain applications.

Bill