Most Dependable Flashlight: Voice Your Opinion

shomie911

Enlightened
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought it would be fun for everyone to get a chance to name the light that they have found to be the most dependable, rugged, and durable light.

Hopefully this will grow to be a list of dependable flashlights and may even coorelate to a few specific models that are a cut above the rest.

Just list your "most dependable flashlight" and/or include a story/situation that further compounded your trust in the light.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright I'll kick things off:

The most dependable flashlight that I have ever used, and would wholeheartedly trust my life with is the Gladius. That light was the most solid thing I've ever held, I knew that no matter what it went through it was going to turn on.

Here's an example of a situation that I wouldn't trust many other lights with, I was in a force on force scenario and half of the team had breached the forward door, but got pinned down in the first two rooms. Well, one of the guys didn't have a light, and he radioed if anyone had one. I grabbed the Gladius, peeked through the doorway quickly and chucked it across the hallway and into the open doorway of the first room (a fairly far distance) it bounced off and he grabbed it of the floor. Using the light he was able to light up to the end of the hallway and we proceded with clearing the house.

I did that without thinking, just as I would if I were throwing a multi-tool or some other form of tool, because that's just what the Gladius and other quality flashlights of its caliber are, tools. And as such I had complete confidence that it could take the punishment.

As technology has progressed (and my no longer needing a tactical light) I sold the Gladius. If they were to update it with 18650 support and a current generation CREE R2 or Q5, then it would be my ultimate, most dependable light.

I look forward to reading your "most dependable lights" and stories. :twothumbs

Last edited:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think im going to be the only one but i will be the first saying that my D cell Maglite is my most dependable light, everytime i pick it up it works.

This one time i was sleeping in my boat, yamaha rib, anchored next to our beach camp site. I woke in the early morning hours to find my Mag 2D floating in the water bezel up turned on, there must have been enough air in there to keep it afloat all nite, not a drop af water inside.

Also various times being dropped 4-5 feet onto concrete from my bike going back to pick it up, still not broke.

The only problem with it now is all my new torches all run off cr123a's and are a lot brighter, smaller, lighter etc

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
For me, it is the Coleman 530 lumen CREE XR-E tri-star spotlight. Here are my reasons:

1. Rugged and durable
2. Has 3 LED emitters which would never burn out or be broken by shock
3. Has a 2.5 hour runtime
4. It is rechargeable
5. It can be run directly from both its AC charger and 12V car charger/adaptor (None of my other lights can be run directly from an AC source)
5. It is completely water proof and can get soaked without a drop of water getting in it
5. Has extreme output and illuminates objects over 1/4 of a mile away
6. I can rely on its lead-acid battery not fully self-discharging from not being charged for a long time
7. It is an all-around amazing light.:twothumbs

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My most reliable flashlights are:
McGizmo's & SF's. Those are the lights that I would TRUST my life with!

Retinator

Enlightened
My Inova X5.

Let see...my Lux I Garrity, switch died
X1 Gen 2, rolls off counter, lands sideways (belly flop?) dies.

X5 has been in rain, -26c cold, and dropped off & on. Some dents, no scratches, much better tank than the X1.

My 6PL comes in second probably only because I've only had it since Februrary/08. I did fall with it in the winder, smacked on ice, NOTHING affected at all, except discovering the snow diffuser :crackup:

shomie911

Enlightened
My Inova X5.

Let see...my Lux I Garrity, switch died
X1 Gen 2, rolls off counter, lands sideways (belly flop?) dies.

X5 has been in rain, -26c cold, and dropped off & on. Some dents, no scratches, much better tank than the X1.

My 6PL comes in second probably only because I've only had it since Februrary/08. I did fall with it in the winder, smacked on ice, NOTHING affected at all, except discovering the snow diffuser :crackup:

Does the X5 take/work with 17670s?

Anyway, keep them coming guys, it's really interesting to hear how well some of these flashlights hold up.

I'll add another, the Arc-P (CS LED)

If I needed a flashlight that I needed to work for a long time and withstand huge amounts of torture it would be the Arc with a Lithium AAA.

I ordered an Olight M20 Warrior through the Battery Junction / Olight Promotion, and I'm hoping it will be added to the "trust with my life" group of flashlights.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "trust my life with" thing for me tends to be a bit overdramatic for how I think about flashlights. I'd prefer to think of it more in terms of "the flashlight I'd be most surprised if it didn't turn on when I wanted it to", given that I understand that there is no flashlight (or gun or radio or...) which is 100% fail proof.

Of those I've had first hand experience with, I'd vote for a high quality spring loaded twisty type of light like the Fenix Civictor, Fenix P1D, Gerber IU, or Fenix L0P/L0D/E1/E0 series. Having a direct drive light would theoretically increase reliability a smidgen because of a simpler (e.g. 1 resistor only) circuit, but I never liked the 3xAA or similar spring loaded twisty lights.

If I thought my life was really dependent on a flashlight, e.g. caving, you can bet I'd have a bunch before I reached my safety comfort/trust level.

Retinator

Enlightened
Shomie: I'm not sure on rechargables with the X5. The first set of batts I had, lasted 4 months before I changed them :)

shomie911

Enlightened
I've been running my Arc-P CS on the oldest most drained battery I could find in my house. It's a "Expired in 2002, dead battery" out of a remote.

Its been running since 3 this afternoon and it's 10:30 now. :eek:

Seven and a half HOURS.

That's crazy. A handful of AAAs and an Arc would last forever if you ever got lost on some island in the middle of nowhere (LOST anyone?) :D

Last edited:

shomie911

Enlightened
Maglite D-cell. Although it's bulky and heavy, it'll always work... and from my understanding, that's what this thread is about...

No problem with Maglites, I have plenty of them as backups. I've heard of some people experiencing problems with them, but they've always worked well for me.

They currently have LED drop-ins (from Terralux and Kaidomain) but their original bulbs still await in the tailcap if the LEDs should fail.

carrot

Flashaholic
I agree with TKC. I would say my most dependable lights are my Surefires and McLux PD-S. I wouldn't have a problem throwing any of them across the room unless they were brand new and still shiny... which most of them are not.

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
My Inovas (T1, XO3, & X5) have all taken pretty serious beatings and rough drops onto conrete and they still work perfectly. Other than those I really trust my twisty Surefires and Ra Twisty (they don't get the rough use my Inovas do). Judging from torture tests read on CPF, I would guess the Ra is probably the toughest but thankfully mine is still scratch and dent free.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to say that Mag "D" cell lights are VERY dependable...and I would be stunned if my SF 6P W/M60 (or my G2 W/M60L, or 9P w/M60L) failed to fire up on the first try.

Another one that seems to be quite reliable despite some pretty rough treatment (so far at least), is the ROV Sportsman Extreme/Highbeam 3W 2AA...built like a tank and hasn't failed me yet.

shomie911

Enlightened
I was just reading about Peak LED Solutions lights. I'm surprised more people don't have them, they seem to be very well built. I'm considering buying one or two.

(The Arc is still going on that dead battery.)