ok so i wanna cool knife..

ClarkWGrizwald

Newly Enlightened
and really thats what it needs to be. cool. im not going to be saving any lives with it. i really like the look of the blades with a square type end to it? i saw some atwoods that look really cool but im not really into hunting down rare knifes.. any suggestions?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Spyderco knives always looked cool to me.... and they're practical too.

ClarkWGrizwald

Newly Enlightened
yes yes yes! these are all cool looking! i found a not a mini benchmark tonto for $66 at onestopknifeshop. is that a good deal? its a:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BENCHMADE MODEL 553 MEL PARDUE GRIPTILIAN TANTO[/FONT]
its kind of more than i was wanting to spend, but seems like a good deal. i also forgot to add that it must fold.

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned
yes yes yes! these are all cool looking! i found a not a mini benchmark tonto for $66 at onestopknifeshop. is that a good deal? its a:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BENCHMADE MODEL 553 MEL PARDUE GRIPTILIAN TANTO[/FONT]
its kind of more than i was wanting to spend, but seems like a good deal. i also forgot to add that it must fold.

I show the 553 in a recent vid I made, I have been using this for a few days now, enjoyign it very much, all the griptilians are nice, I prefer clip point or drop point over tanto, but if you like this look its also functional...

skip right over to 5:00...to catch a glimpse of this model, Ill have a review on it in the future...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4FEH1zQoTA

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
id also suggest getting a non-tanto point, itll be a lot more useful and easier to maintain in the long run. but if you like the looks, go for it!

ClarkWGrizwald

Newly Enlightened
i thought this one looks pretty cool:
5015.jpg

what does assisted opening mean? its basically like a switchblade? why do some sites say only a police officer or military can buy the 'automatic' knives?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assisted openers are spring loaded for fast action upon deployment. I don't like them as they provide additional points of failure. A well maintained knife properly broken in and practiced with will open just as fast. You want a cool folder? Take a look at the Emerson CQC-15.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
what does assisted opening mean? its basically like a switchblade? why do some sites say only a police officer or military can buy the 'automatic' knives?

An assisted opener is a mechanism contained within a folding knife that "assists" in opening the blade faster, once you push on the thumbstud or push down on a flipper. (If the knife has a flipper).

The opening speed is the same as a well-made switchblade knife. However, a switchblade uses a button on the handle. While many knife laws are vague. The ones banning switchblade knives tend to be specific. They tend to mention the button on the handle. Since A/O knives don't have buttons, they are often exempt as being defined a switchblade.

Honestly, switchblade laws are retarded. Even a conventional folding knife can be opened as quickly as a switchblade, with the right technique. So, knife makers and companies found a way around the retarded little laws made by dumb-@$$ politicians pretending that they were actually doing something to reduce crime.

LEOs and Military personel are exempt from the retarded switchblade laws.

Most likely, when the current crop of useless politicians find out about A/O knives, they'll write more laws. But until then, A/O knives are legal to own. But they might not be legal to carry, in some places. Check your local laws before carrying.

ClarkWGrizwald

Newly Enlightened
/\ i completely agree. i was trying to wrap my brain around it looking on knife websites. so i cant buy a 3" blade that opens automatically but i can buy this huge, rambo knife designed to cut flesh????

carrot

Flashaholic
Aside from tanto+serrations being one of the more questionable options on a knife the Cyclone/Mini-Cyclone is a good knife and well liked. I usually steer clear of tantos and serrations but of course that is my personal opinion.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah id get either tanto or serrations, but not both. kershaws serrations are not that great, if you really need a serrated knife get a spyderco. so maybe go for a plain tanto, and a spyderco ladybug or something small as your task specific serrated backup