ex10/d10 slotted piston, trit vial thread

ClarkWGrizwald

Newly Enlightened
this is my attempt to start a thread on this subject for those of us planning on doing a DIY with the trits and pistons for our PDs. i have never done anything like this and would like to ask a few questions about installing the trits. how hard is this to do? is it recommended that i get someone to do this for me? i would imagine that once the acrylic is dried its a done deal. i would hate to screw it up only to find that the pistons and/or trits are no longer available. i enjoy the occasional DIY but dont want to risk a fail. also there is the question of what product to use to seal the trit into the piston.

Hondo_Lane

Newly Enlightened
Great thread.
Where do you get the trit vials from? Or where can you get super lume powder?

ClarkWGrizwald

Newly Enlightened
/\ the cpf member b@rt is supplying the trits exclusivly from what i understand for the pistons. to reserve the trits you give b@rt your order number from the piston order. there is a thread in the dealers corner. i actually created this thread because i cant post in the dealers corner. im assuming its because im new here. so i figured others cant as well. also i didnt want to cloud up that thread with DIY questions.

1dash1

Enlightened
Clark:

Have you registered at the CPFM forum?

The two forums, CPF and CPFM, are two different forums. You need to register in each separate forum in order to participate in them.

It may seem to be cumbersome to be split in two, but there are advantages. For example, when one site is down for maintenance, the other site is still up. For another, when one site is operating like molasses, the other one is often running smoothly.

P.S. This thread would be more appropriately titled, "EX10 Slotted Piston, Trit Vial Thread". The slotted piston is not an option for the D10 at the present time. [EDIT: My bad. The trit thread linked to the EX10 product page. I didn't see that the D10 slotted piston is available on another web page.]

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread.
Where do you get the trit vials from? Or where can you get super lume powder?

The best place to get the glow powder or paint, is GlowInc.com. The user here on CPF is Slylighter. I am sure that most here on CPF will agree that this is the best stuff available, especially the green.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
The best place to get the glow powder or paint, is GlowInc.com. The user here on CPF is Slylighter. I am sure that most here on CPF will agree that this is the best stuff available, especially the green.

Their V10 green is the brightest I've used but I was not happy with the particle size at all. Anyone who has used it will know what I'm talking about. The grains are so large they are very noticeable when mixed in epoxy. I guess it doesn't bother some cause I've seen a few mods with it but it really bothers me. Their blue is not so bad.

I like the powders from www.readysetglo.com

d1dd1

Enlightened
Thanks for the link darkzero.

Are their powders or paints much dimmer compared to glowinc stuff ?

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
so what is the best epoxy to use to install tritium vials?

You'll probably get many responses of Norland 61 since that's what Don (McGizmo) uses, but to be honest I've had perfect, professional results with the Devcon stuff. Just make sure you get the slower curing one that dries clear. Works like a charm, and is self leveling as it dries, so it sort of smoothes itself out.

Oh and the Devcon is available at places like MalWart for a few bucks.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll probably get many responses of Norland 61 since that's what Don (McGizmo) uses, but to be honest I've had perfect, professional results with the Devcon stuff. Just make sure you get the slower curing one that dries clear. Works like a charm, and is self leveling as it dries, so it sort of smoothes itself out.

Oh and the Devcon is available at places like MalWart for a few bucks.
+1 for the Devcon stuff, don't bang your head too much about it, grab some and try it for yourself... I use it all the time, and it cures nicely. Just mix it slowly to avoid bubbles and use a small pointy object to apply. If you screw up, boil and repeat.

ClarkWGrizwald

Newly Enlightened
so no problems with boiling a tritum vial? concievably if i screw up ill be having to boil the tritium vial as well.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Devcon stuff, don't bang your head too much about it, grab some and try it for yourself... I use it all the time, and it cures nicely. Just mix it slowly to avoid bubbles and use a small pointy object to apply. If you screw up, boil and repeat.
Are you suggesting you can easily remove the Devcon epoxy if you mess up with the work? Interresting if you can confirm that. If so I need to get some of this stuff

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes you can, it will turn the epoxy into a gummy stuff you can remove. The vial is made of glass, no problem either.. Its not an easy task though, you will have to be patient on the removal , so you don't damage the vial in the process... But in general, yes it can be done. Norland can be boiled too, same results.

jag-engr

Enlightened
How well does the Devcon sand if I get the top of the epoxy sticking up over the top of the piston?

I'm thinking this may be a good solution, as I already have some at home.

Also, I'm thinking about applying some glow powder as a temporary filler until I get the tritium vial — I understand that it could be as long as two months!

RocketTomato

Enlightened
I started a thread about a possible group buy for Norland 61 in the market place forum, in case anyone is interested.

Which devcon epoxy have people used? The 5 minute version?

Does anyone know if the Norland 61 also self-levels?

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah the 5 minute version is very little time to get it going correctly. It would be the 30 minute version...Devcon 2 ton clear weld epoxy. I picked some up last night for under $2. Certainly outperforms other epoxy I've bought for 5 or 6 bucks.

I would imagine the Norland stuff self levels. If you've seen any of McGizmo's vial installations, you know what I mean. Pretty much always ultra clean and smooth.

rocled

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone every used the V-10 powder with epoxy? Does it glow for a long time? I have 3 pistons and I wanted one with GITD Powder, but not sure which one to use. Right now I have a 1/2" GITD 0-ring around the piston area from lighthound.

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I would imagine the Norland stuff self levels. If you've seen any of McGizmo's vial installations, you know what I mean. Pretty much always ultra clean and smooth.

Actually not always.

The Devcon 30 min epoxy self levels too. Most slow curing epoxies will.

geek4christ

Enlightened
Guys, thanks for the information here. I was a bit nervous about this mod myself and now I feel assured that the DevCon will work and if I mess up I can start over.

:thanks: