Three LED Lanterns Compared (Rayovac, Sylvania, Energizer)

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme LED Lantern (3xD Batteries). Price paid: Approx. $20.
Sylvania Mini LED Lantern (4xAA Batteries). Price paid: Approx. $13.
Energizer Weather Ready LED Room Light (4xD Batteries). Price paid: Approx. $20.​

While waiting to see if Hurricane Gustav was going to head our way, I had some time to familiarize myself with these three LED lanterns that I had recently acquired (primarily for emergency use). I bought two of each of these lanterns, one set for my home and one set for my parents' home.

I haven't really done a technical review, but I did take quite a few photos and wrote comments based on my brief familiarization time. I also did room shots with each lantern at night and wrote down my initial thoughts on the pros and cons of each.

For the time being, I have placed my "review" (if I can really call it that) on my website on the following page:

LED Lanterns for Emergency Use

Here are a few photos, and I'll let those provide most of their own "visual description" for the moment. Larger photo versions can be seen via the link, above, as well as many more views of each lantern, along with my commentary. I'm debating on whether I should copy the entire review over to CPF, but I could possibly do that after I've rounded it out a little better.

The lanterns as packaged.

080830-005_small.jpg
080830-006_small.jpg
080830-007_small.jpg

Batteries/battery compartments.

080830-033_small.jpg
080830-038_small.jpg
080830-032_small.jpg

Side by side view.

080830-008_small.jpg
080830-009_small.jpg

A larger view of each.

080830-013_small.jpg
080830-015_small.jpg
080830-023_small.jpg

Indoor night shots -- all shots done with a Canon 1D Mark II and 14mm f/2.8L lens (lens set at f/2.8 with 1/4 second camera shutter speed at ISO 400). Room has white ceiling, but dark walls that aren't going to bounce light as well as many room walls might (so the room has a slightly darker look largely due to the wall color).

Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme LED Lantern
080901-005a.jpg

Energizer Weather Ready LED Lantern (with lantern head in "up" position)
080901-007a.jpg

Sylvania Mini LED Lantern
080901-008a.jpg

Pros, Cons, and Remarks Based on My Brief Comparison

Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme LED Lantern (3xD Batteries)

Pros: Seems to be the brightest of the bunch. Good light thrown 360 degrees. Second longest runtime of the three, stated by manufacturer in the 150 hour range (not tested by me). Is water resistant. Has hook built in to bottom of light for hanging so it can be easily hung upside down in a tent or otherwise above eye level (base detaches from top of lantern to produce a lightbulb effect when hung by hook). Has a tiny, blinking "find me" light (EZ-Find Light) that blinks every five seconds when lantern is off so that it can be easily found in the dark.​

Cons: Base of lantern is awkward to attach after inserting batteries. There's probably some easy trick to it (or maybe a fix), but the free spinning disk in the base that has the battery contact points and alignment slots spins a little too freely, making base alignment and attachment somewhat of a challenge. It is way too easy for the alignment slots to spin out of position while attempting to attach the base.​

Remarks: This would be a solid choice for a small camping lantern, tent lantern, household lantern, emergency lantern, etc. Light seems perhaps a bit harsh compared to the Energizer when you glance toward the lantern (perhaps the diffuser size and material make the light source seem a bit more intense, or maybe it's just plain brighter by enough margin to notice the difference).​

Energizer Weather Ready LED Room Light (4xD Batteries)

Pros: Has longest stated runtime of the three as stated by manufacturer in the 245 hour range (not tested by me). Very versatile in positioning options and can cover either 180 or 360 degrees depending on head position. Has a built-in nightlight. Is relatively easy on the eyes. Batteries are easy to install.​

Cons: Light not as bright or evenly dispersed as the Rayovac. It is a little to the bulky side and somewhat awkward in its fully swung-up position.​

Remarks: Even if not as bright as the Rayovac, the Energizer would be a very good choice for an emergency lantern, especially with its long runtime. Uses eight LEDs for main light and one amber LED for nightlight. Perceived difference in light intensity between high and low settings is minimal, almost to the extent that I wonder why there are two settings. The low should have been made much lower.​

Sylvania Mini LED Lantern (4xAA Batteries)

Pros: Is small, convenient, and solidly built. Has retractable feet for storage and stability. There is a good deal of difference between the high and low settings, which I count as a real plus (stated as 100 percent and 25 percent settings).​

Cons: Probably not really bright enough for consideration as a high-level emergency light, but would be a heck of a lot better than having no light. It will get you by, but won't do much more than that because of limited light range and brightness. Would not be much of a task light unless the lantern was very close to the user. Shortest overall runtime of the three (not verified, but somewhere between 8 and 30 hours, perhaps? I had trouble finding solid answers to this.). Screw-in bottom battery cover will cut into the bottom edges of plastic coating on the batteries unless modified (threads must be cut or filed down a bit). If using disposable batteries, this is not a problem. For multi-use rechargeable batteries, it will scar the plastic coating upon each insertion and tightening of the base. Instructions for a fix can be found on the CandlePower Forums in this thread: Sylvania/Osram Mini 4AA Lantern Upgrade

Remarks: This would make a nice convenience lantern for certain types of home use (for instance, as a bedside light) and a decent (if not overly bright) tent light. Despite some of the cons, this is a neat little lantern with a good deal of "cool/fun" factor (just ask my 6-year-old daughter, who has claimed it as hers). I like it, too, despite its forgivable weaknesses. And how much can you ask of a $13 lantern?​

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you get the Rayovac one? Looks pretty nice.

I got the Rayovac from CPF member MorePower. I think he is away for a few days (perhaps on vacation) but can likely still be PM'ed since I think he's trying check in occasionally. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to quote you a price for them.

The Rayovac was the brightest of the two D-cell lanterns -- and even though it apparently has a shorter runtime than the Energizer Weather Ready LED lantern, it still has a long run time (supposedly in the 150 hour range).

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. I'm debating getting one of the ROVs the next time I stop at the nearby gun/archery/tackle store (the only place I've seen them), but I really don't _need_ one (heh!). I have a number of the Sylvanias and LED's to upgrade them as soon as I have the time.

MorePower

Enlightened
I got the Rayovac from CPF member MorePower. I think he is away for a few days (perhaps on vacation) but can likely still be PM'ed since I think he's trying check in occasionally. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to quote you a price for them.

The Rayovac was the brightest of the two D-cell lanterns -- and even though it apparently has a shorter runtime than the Energizer Weather Ready LED lantern, it still has a long run time (supposedly in the 150 hour range).

If possible, do you think you could add a shot of the Rayovac running in the lower output mode as a comparison? That would result in an extended runtime as well.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, MorePower. For you, of course. ;)

But, I'll have to wait until I can get good dark in the house -- and that usually means waiting until after the rest of the family is in bed. I can't easily close off and isolate the room where I did the first shots, so it's harder for me to get it truly dark in there unless I wait until pretty late at night.

The Rayovac shows its low setting at 50 percent (very reasonable) which should show up nicely in the photos.

The Sylvania shows its low setting at 25 percent (nice, I like it), but that's so low that I'd have to change my comparative camera settings just to get it to show up...and then the others would look like blazing suns.

The Energizer doesn't show its low setting percentage on the packaging, and I haven't seen it stated anywhere that I've looked (even in the Energizer FL452WR Product Datasheet for it). And visually, there's not a big difference between high and low on it. I wonder if they Energizer fouled it up during the design/production stages and it was too late to redesign, so they're ashamed to state what you get with the low setting? ;)

On the Energizer, I know it's not really possible to give a percentage just by looking, but I could swear that it doesn't drop off by any more than 15-20 percent at most when switching from high to low. Who knows, maybe it's a drop to 75 percent of maximum, but it sure doesn't look like it drops off that far. I find that strange in relation to the very long stated runtime for the Energizer (245 hours). I'm assuming that's the runtime from the low setting, but with a low that's not really all that low compared to its high setting, that seems strange.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can mod the Sylvania with Cree, you'll get twice the output with the same run time.

Yeah, true, and that's a relevant thing to point out.

Part of rounding out the review will included a link to the main thread that I've seen on the modifications (Sylvania/Osram Mini 4AA Lantern Upgrade, and maybe there are other threads, too, where this is discussed?), but for the initial review I wanted to go by what you get out of the box. But you're right, and it's a good point.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Bought a couple of these Sylvanias, back in January.

Menards had 'em on sale for

$ 4.99

:twothumbs

A nice, useful little lantern.

Especially for that price.

:grin2:
_

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, rub it in Burgess, you lucky dog . . . :p :D

I had read about that in another thread or two. Too bad Menard's doesn't offer online ordering . . . or do they? :confused:

I remember reading in one of those threads that one member called Menard's from out of sate when the sale was on and they agreed to ship to him, and apparently at a reasonable shipping rate. But I also wonder if a sale like that will crop up again with these specific lanterns (are they a regular item at Menard's) -- or how the needy from out of state will know...:candle:

;)

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
They are a regular item but they are being treated as short term, from what I've seen. The close Menards doesn't have them, one far one has quite a few, currently at $9.99 (plus crook county's criminal sales tax rates...).

The close one kept moving them around before they disappeared; often a sign of impending discontinuation.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
If possible, do you think you could add a shot of the Rayovac running in the lower output mode as a comparison? That would result in an extended runtime as well.

Here are those couple of shots. I have to figure out how to slip them into the review without being awkward about it, but I'll put them right here for now. I redid both shots since the room contents have been shifted around a little since my first set of shots. Camera settings were the same as before, but I wanted to eliminate any variables by shooting these two under matching conditions just to make sure.

Rayovac Sportsman Extreme LED Lantern at 100 percent and 50 percent.

080901-009a.jpg

080901-010a.jpg

NickBose

Enlightened
The specs of this lantern appear quite different across sites
- BatteryJunction.com list it under Rayovac badge as using 3 LEDs, each is 3 watts
- KBM store list it as 4 watts
- In the UK it is known as Silverpoint and stated 3 Nichia LEDs, each is only 1 watt
- In Oz it is sold under Primus badge at a (as usual) throat-cutting price and also has 3 of 1 watt Nichia LED

:confused: Do you think they're the same?

NickBose

Enlightened
Even among the Rayovac brands:

This on battery Junction has 3W on the upper left corner
3383766607_3db08ec4f2_o.jpg

This has 4W in the upper left corner

3383769321_6cb8520910_o.jpg

:thinking:

NickBose

Enlightened
To my fellow Aussies: the best price so far for this I could find over internet is at Kathmandu by paying A$10 to get the Summit card you'll pay A$59.93 for the lantern, so it's A$ 69.93 in total (or US$ 47.5)
What a rip off considering US price of < US$30 :mad:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The specs of this lantern appear quite different across sites
- BatteryJunction.com list it under Rayovac badge as using 3 LEDs, each is 3 watts
- KBM store list it as 4 watts
- In the UK it is known as Silverpoint and stated 3 Nichia LEDs, each is only 1 watt
- In Oz it is sold under Primus badge at a (as usual) throat-cutting price and also has 3 of 1 watt Nichia LED

:confused: Do you think they're the same?

Yes, I think they are the same, all manufactured by Favourlight in China, and branded under different names for the country/market they are intended for. They use three Nichia LEDs. BatteryJunction originally listed it as using a single LED, but they have since corrected the error.

tritan

Newly Enlightened
anybody find a great price on these lights any where?