• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

How durable are McGizmo Lights?

toddxtyboy

Newly Enlightened
Recently got a Ti-PD-S and in less than a week i love it and have no regrets. Its always on me. My previous edc was a surefire L1.

I'm just curious on how durable these lights are. I don't plan to abuse it, but i just like to know that it can take it. I've seen pics of them in water so i assume getting thrown in a pool or falling off of a raft would be ok, correct?

Would this be a light that i could take overseas if i deployed and not have to worry about it?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but its such a work of art that sometimes i feel like it should be babied. Plus i need a little help convincing myself that i need that Lunasol 27 in the B/S/t :sssh:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very!

Don spends alot of time in the water - the PD (amongst others) is designed to operate underwater. Ensuring the seals are sound and well lubed should give extra confidence.

I have been carrying a PD regularly for 15 months now, in that time it has remained my single favorite light and I have dropped it more times than I care to remember and more times than any previous SF.

There is a great post about a TiPD-S reconstructed after a motorcycle accident. If you can't find it via a search I'll try and dig it out tomorrow.

If you look up user mossyoak I think he had a thread on McGizmo reliability also.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Those lights are tough like hell. And they don't flood provided you have maintained your seals well.

They are made to withstand abuse, weather and water. No worries here.

bernie

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't find it, but I remember there was a CPF member that had a motorcycle accident. He fell and slid on his Ti-PD.
He posted a cool pic of it...:eek:oo: It took a huge hit and still worked:thumbsup:

Anyway, another CPF'r came to his rescue and was able to sand it and polish it, looked like new.

Anyone else remember this?

Rico801

Newly Enlightened
That was a good read. Thanks for posting the link to that thread!

Murphy's Law

Newly Enlightened
toddxtyboy,

This should give you an idea of just how tough Don's lights are; I focus all of my efforts on stopping the lights from being built, because once they are built, I can't even screw them up.

You can research the older threads, and you will find that even Don himself bears witness to this truth... how often can anyone say that they have ever heard my name invoked after a McGizmo light has been built and shipped to their owners?

It is a little frustrating for me because my chief joy is in befuddling and confounding McGizmo; the frustrating part is that I can only do this during the production phase of the light.

Just my .02 cents.

-Murphy

toddxtyboy

Newly Enlightened
toddxtyboy,

This should give you an idea of just how tough Don's lights are; I focus all of my efforts on stopping the lights from being built, because once they are built, I can't even screw them up.

You can research the older threads, and you will find that even Don himself bears witness to this truth... how often can anyone say that they have ever heard my name invoked after a McGizmo light has been built and shipped to their owners?

It is a little frustrating for me because my chief joy is in befuddling and confounding McGizmo; the frustrating part is that I can only do this during the production phase of the light.

Just my .02 cents.

-Murphy

:crackup:

lol, you guys are creative..

Sable

Enlightened
I grievously abuse all my lights. They get dragged through mud, smashed on things, etc. That's why they almost never sell! :whistle:

I'm very certain I could pack any of my McG's in a cannon and fire them into the distance, using them as tracers. They're as near to indestructible as one could practically make them.