New found respect for the Power On Board HID

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Tonight I got to test my Vector Power On Board HID to its full potential, and I was blown away by it.

I shined it across a huge dark field at least 1/2 a mile long and it put a very bright spot on the trees at the end. I have also been using it a lot lately and shined it at some trees that were at least 3/4 of a mile away and amazingly it lit them up very brightly. When I left it on pointing up into the sky I could see its huge beam from the other side of my cul-de-sac, and when I have done this recently in the past it put a bright spot on some mid-level clouds. I also shined it up on a sky scraper nearly as tall as the Empire State building (it was around 1000 feet tall) and it easily lit the top of it.

I just wanted to say I am VERY happy and satisfied with the POB, it seemed Maxabeam like to me putting a small spot those trees 1/2 a mile away. I could not be happier with a powerful HID, and after seeing how it performs have no desire to buy another large HID spotlight.

What this has affirmed for me is that my next HID will definitely be the N30, as I already have a big heavy HID spotlight with a laser like beam and laser like throw. I really want to get the N30 as I think I will really enjoy its 4200K color temp and having so much power in such a small package.

Thanks CPF for making me aware of such great lights!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL - Blue.

Your the "MEGA FLASHAHOLIC" :rock:

I too have found some extra love for an old light, my 10mcp. I wired it up to run both filaments (100w/130w) at once. ~230w:poof:

So no Mega Illum for you?:(

But the L35 should make up for it.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
The Power On Board HID is doing just great for me in terms of throw, so I think I will really enjoy the smaller N30.:grin2:

I'd love to have the L35, but it is out of my price range ($100-$200).:sigh:

LOL - Blue.

Your the "MEGA FLASHAHOLIC" :rock:

:thanks:Wish I could see your awesome lights in person.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
:D

Im in the process of vamping up lots of my lights, BIG THINGS ARE HAPPENING.:whistle:

I'm entering "no mans land" with my wallet. :eek:

Maybe I should get a POB.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
forgot to add, sometimes I go out on a really clear, cold night & shine some of my lights around. I love how much brighter they appear on really clear nights. IMO thats what makes them far more impressive.

LOL, I got this neighbor across the road who races to his curtains to take a peak in my back yard to see it lite up like 1000000000lux:faint:

He must say "**** when is enough, enough?" :D

Gunner12

Flashaholic
This is making me want a HID more and more.

The N30 should make a good companion with the POB. IIRC it is smaller and floodier so it should work well with a larger and throwier light.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Im in the process of vamping up lots of my lights, BIG THINGS ARE HAPPENING.:whistle:

I'm entering "no mans land" with my wallet. :eek:

Maybe I should get a POB.

The POB is a great light! It is a monster laser like:D thrower and I think it might be a good smaller companion to your Mega Illuminator.:D

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
forgot to add, sometimes I go out on a really clear, cold night & shine some of my lights around. I love how much brighter they appear on really clear nights. IMO thats what makes them far more impressive.

LOL, I got this neighbor across the road who races to his curtains to take a peak in my back yard to see it lite up like 1000000000lux:faint:

He must say "**** when is enough, enough?" :D

:crackup:Your amazing 1000W Thor and VT110 must be quite unbelievable sights!:thumbsup:

I agree with you about clear nights, when it is hazy or foggy it prevents the lights from throwing as far and makes it hard to see what they are lighting up. Last night was a clear night so the POB looker really amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner12
This is making me want a HID more and more.

The N30 should make a good companion with the POB. IIRC it is smaller and floodier so it should work well with a larger and throwier light.

Yes I agree it will be a perfect companion for the POB. I think you would really ba amazed by a POB and should get one. You can get them on Ebay for under $50.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Does anyone if a POB would throw further than a N30 or the new L35?

The POB has a large 6'' reflector and the N30 has a much smaller 4'' reflector, so the N30 wouldn't have the laser like throw of the POB.

I am curious about the L35's reflector size.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
The problem is convincing my parents that I need such a large and powerful light. I should really get myself a job.

According to this thread, the L35 has less throw and output then the N30. Are you guys talking about the Mega Illuminator?

Thank you for the link, that was a very interesting thread! I am surprised that the 6000K sam's POB outperformed the 4200K Illuminator in throw/hotspot brightness. This makes me like my POB even more.

The Mega Illuminator/Harbor Freight/Costco HID is larger than the POB and would have even more throw/hotspot brightness than the POB.

I seem to have an exceptionally well focused POB as its beam is more like that of the Costco HID. Some excellent beamshots of the Costco Here, Here, and Here. EDIT: My POB's beam looks about the same as the "Costco okay focus" in THIS thread.

Thank you Mtbkndad for these amazing shootouts!:thumbsup:

Patriot36 if you are reading this thread I would be very interested to know how your best focused POB compares to your Costco.:)

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
The problem is convincing my parents that I need such a large and powerful light. I should really get myself a job.

According to this thread, the L35 has less throw and output then the N30. Are you guys talking about the Mega Illuminator?

That was just a sample difference between units, the N30 with a well broken in bulb and a Prototype L35 not up to its full potential yet. Essentially they should be about equal, with a substantial run-time advantage going the the L35. It will be lighter also of course.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
It compares ok, the POB doesn't throw as well but it does well for a 6" reflector.

Thanks!

I agree it does very well for only 6" giving such a laser like beam and great throw.

I can't wait to get my N30 as soon as I have the funds for it.:thumbsup:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
You can get a 4200k bulb for the POB's for not too much coin from ebay.

Thank you, but I prefer the 6000K in my POB as I like it for its laser like throw.
I will like to have the 4200K N30 since it outputs more lumens per watt than 6000K and it is smaller with added LED's.

BMF

Enlightened
Where can I get the Costco one? Can't find it online or my local B&M. Is it an HID?