Brightest and Smallest LED Flashlight

MajorPain

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase the smallest and brightest LED flashlight on the market. I've been looking around and I am overwhelmed with the number of LED flashlights. Basically I want the BEST!

Any suggestions?

superflytnt

Enlightened
Hello and :welcome:!

When asking a question like that it's always helpful to give a little bit more info such as (but not limited to) the following:

What will you be using it for?
Do you only want high output or is runtime a concern?
Do you have a preference for battery type?
What type of beam do you like, floody or tight/throwy?
Do you want single level or multiple levels hi/med/low?
User interface (UI) do you want simple hi/low or a complicated programmable UI?
What kind of switch: twisty, side click, rear click, forward/reverse?
How much $$ are you looking to spend?

There are many more I'm sure but, like you said, there are many many torches out there and to recommend one we need a bit more info.

Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for!

EDIT: something like this is certainly among the smallest/brightest torch: http://web.mac.com/Lummii/Lummi2/Raw_NS.html

Last edited:

frank777

Enlightened
Hello and :welcome:!

something like this is certainly among the smallest/brightest torch: http://web.mac.com/Lummii/Lummi2/Raw_NS.html

+1 Yep, I just did an extensive search a few weeks ago to try and find the answer to the same question. The orb Raw IS it. No other flashlight gives you 200 lumens and is even smaller than the smallest CR2 lights.

Don't let the fact that it uses resistors discourage you. For "regulated" output on high, you lose a minimum 15% of the battery's energy. With a resistor on high (Raw's 200 lumen model), you lose less than 5%. Of course on low, resistors are not as good as DC regulation, and you can lose 35% or so, but who cares? So you get 10 hours on low instead of 13 hours? I have never used a flashlight continuously for 13 hours in my life!

The cost is around $130 delivered.

http://www.cpfreviews.com/Orb-Raw-NS.php

http://web.mac.com/Lummii/Lummi2/Raw_NS.html

Good luck......

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
If you are looking for the highest brightness to size ratio, then I would say that the custom flashlight made by CPFer "modamag"
called the "Draco" and its even smaller offshoot, the "Drake" will fit your requirement.

They are absolutely tiny and yet can light up a medium-sized room brightly
on the burst setting.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank god for that. I was expecting DX pocket rockets, even after the word "best".

The orb raw is very small, very very bright and definitely very good. Highly recommended (I EDC a raw al)

pobox1475

Enlightened
New Raw NS Choice of Lumens Options:

200/20, Standard. 25 mins high. 10 hours low.

200/100, 25 mins high. Not so low for 90 mins run time

100/20, Limited High* for 90 mins high. 10 hours low.

* 100 Ltd. High setting provides the highest efficiency.

Would be sweeet if you could have all three (20,100 & 200) in one light.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Hope that you find the flashlight of your dreams.

:cool:
_

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You will have to define "Best"

What do you want the light for?
Do you want bright as possible at the expense of runtime and battery?(you can push rechargeable batteries too hard and kill them)
Do you want to have lower output option?
What light do you have now?
What price?

:welcome:

MajorPain

Newly Enlightened
Cost is not an object. I am simply looking for the highest lumens in the smallest package.

I currently own the following and I was wondering if anything better exists.

• Surefire E2D LED Defender
  • Surefire L4 LumaMax
  • Surefire U2 Ultra
  • Proton Pro
  • A Dorcy flashlight I picked up at Costco (160 lumens, 3x AAA batteries)
  • OLIGHT T20 MILITARY w. Cree Q5 WC LED 3 levels, 3 modes, 220+ lumens

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Well, if you want a cheaper option that use common AAA batteries then by all means check out the Fenix LOD. There may be brighter or smaller options but none use regular batteries or are as affordable.

marschw

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget the Lummi Wee. It sacrifices a bit of the "brightest" side of your request to go to the extreme of the "smallest" side.

Alan_P

Newly Enlightened
Smallest is the Wee. Single level output (choice of 25, 50 or 100 lumens), rechargable battery. Due to small size the output is pure flood. Lights up a room beautifully.

The NS is a two level light. Bright level is 200 lumens. Uses a rechargable battery.

Slightly larger is the Aeon. Two levels. Bright runs around 120 lumens. This is a regulated light. Runs on a primary CR2 Battery. Run time on hight and low considerably are longer than the NS.

tricker

Enlightened
draco is the leader among the pack mentioned so far.....10 different levels of light from 3 lumens to 120ish

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I hear brightest and smallest, an obvious contradiction, I think brightest of the CR123 size, as that is the smallest full flashlight IMHO. And the brightest of the lot just came out - the EagleTac P10C. This thing has half the power of your Olight, yet produces a brighter and much larger spot, and slightly dimmer spill. see light-reviews.com for the only review I know of, and their forum for comments on the intensity. The other light of that size around the same brightness is the JET-II IBS. This light has a narrower but slightly brighter spot.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I'd second that. For sheer "wow" factor, the Draco really can't be beat.

For what it's worth, I own all four of the lights mentioned so far - Draco, Orb NS, Orb wee, and Aeon - and the Draco is still my favorite "holy crap, I can't believe how much light that thing puts out" torch. It's also a phenomenally useful light, with 10 different levels and up to 4 hours of runtime. (Sturdy, too - my wife's already put it through the wash. Now my Draco's clean.) :grin2:

That said, the other lights would still impress almost anyone who sees them. And they each have their benefits. I often take the Aeon on hiking trips, since it's a lightweight and long-running backup (40-70 hours vs. my Draco's four). And the Orb NS puts out a little more light than my Draco.

But what the Draco really has over all the others is its size; it's just *tiny*. It's really hard to appreciate how small it is until you see it in person. The Orb wee is roughly the same size, but it only comes with one level, and its beam is a bit more floody. (Let me tell you, though - my wife loves this light, and it never leaves her keychain.)

So in summary, Draco. :)

Hope this helps!

- FITP

draco is the leader among the pack mentioned so far.....10 different levels of light from 3 lumens to 120ish

shomie911

Enlightened
Cost is not an object. I am simply looking for the highest lumens in the smallest package.

I currently own the following and I was wondering if anything better exists.

• Surefire E2D LED Defender
  • Surefire L4 LumaMax
  • Surefire U2 Ultra
  • Proton Pro
  • A Dorcy flashlight I picked up at Costco (160 lumens, 3x AAA batteries)
  • OLIGHT T20 MILITARY w. Cree Q5 WC LED 3 levels, 3 modes, 220+ lumens

You have a pretty good collection.

If you want an extremely small, high output light then I would listen to the above suggestions of the Lummi lights.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You've got a pretty good bunch of lights(You can send the L4 and U2 to modders like Milkyspit to modify them for more output).

I'd say either The Lummi lights or the Draco/Drake would be your best choices.

hazna

Enlightened
I'd second that. For sheer "wow" factor, the Draco really can't be beat.

For what it's worth, I own all four of the lights mentioned so far - Draco, Orb NS, Orb wee, and Aeon - and the Draco is still my favorite "holy crap, I can't believe how much light that thing puts out" torch. It's also a phenomenally useful light, with 10 different levels and up to 4 hours of runtime. (Sturdy, too - my wife's already put it through the wash. Now my Draco's clean.) :grin2:

- FITP

What are the run times/output levels like for drake and draco lights, on Max and low (~10lumens)?

Could you post a picture of your lights side by side... I'm interested in how they compare in size.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just discovered this Draco light. Looking at the sale thread, it doesn't say anything about the lumens unless I missed it somewhere. How bright are these and for what runtime?

Dan

tricker

Enlightened
th100_0288.jpg

its the smallest

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=147586

different emitter now so more lumens, similar runtimes

2 lumens 20 hour low

Last edited: