Would this work?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a stock 3D Mag and I was thinking of getting a 9xAA to 3D adaptor and replace the bulb with a 6D bulb. Would this work? Or would i just fry the bulb?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would blow a stock bulb. You could run it with 7 cells and 2 dumy AAs in that 9AA adapter. 8 cells would likely blow a stock 6 cell bulb on fresh cells but I can't be certain.

If you want to run on 9 cells, assuming that you're using NiMh cells, you can find a few good G4 base bulbs available. Then just plug the bulb into a 5mega or Kai socket and you've good to go. Just be sure you add in an aluminum reflector (with a hole big enough to fit your chosen bulb) and a borosilicate glass window.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the reply, i think i will try a 7 cell, 2 dummy approach and see what happens. I live in Singapore and getting parts in is a bit of a hassle and seeing as how i already have some adaptors lying around i'll try this and see if it works.

Getting bulbs here is a pain too, we're so well lit that it's a flashaholics rehab centre in singapore. you have to work so hard to look for the dark :D

how about two 3xAA to 1D adaptors and one standard D cell that should be about 8.7 volts, would that burn out a 7.4volt xenon bulb??

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about two 3xAA to 1D adaptors and one standard D cell that should be about 8.7 volts, would that burn out a 7.4volt xenon bulb??

No, no, no.
They have different capacities and will discharge differently. So you'll either ruin a rechargeable cell or cause an alkaline cell to leak.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of nice PR socket bulbs to play with, especially at voltages ~9V that I know of.
What kind of bulbs are you using? Stock Mag bulbs are pretty blah, but work. Mag also has Xenon bulbs which are a bit better. Or have you found some local bulbs?

One thing to note if you're shopping around for bulbs is in general the longer lifetime expectancy a bulb has, the harder you can overdrive the bulb. So a bulb with only 20 hours life likely can't take too much voltage over its rating. A bulb with 4000 hours life will usually take much more.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
hahaha, thanks for correcting me before i went and did something noobish and blew myself up or ruined some cells. I did some looking earlier before cooking up this hare brained scheme (which now is being discarded thanks to proper advice).

Perhaps i should just keep the Mag in stock condition and drop in a Welch-Alyn1160 or Philips 5761 bulb, thing is, singapore is a real wasteland for modding lights, there are hardly any B&M places and the ones that i went to only stocked standard Mag / Pelican bulbs and not even those to do an ROP mod.

Ordering online is cost prohibitive as i could have just gotten a Terralux drop in module and saved all the hassle but the shipping charges were 75% of the cost of the drop in, hence the cooking up of hare brained schemes :p

ah well, stock it is then. Thanks for the good advice PhantomPhoton. Quite possibly saved me from killing some cells or messing up the mag

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well we're not any different here in the USA. B&M stores don't reliably have most mod supplies here either. I buy a lot of my stuff on line too. You just have to deal with high shipping costs I'd assume.

Glad I could help. Just be sure to use things that won't melt when you decide to finally buy a 5761 or WA bulb. BTW 5761's are slightly fat so be sure you get a reflector with a big enough hole for it to go into.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
was thinking of getting a kaidomain reflector and glass lenses too, would that be good enough?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehe, i think 3/5 (cos i need bulb and a switch).

same for an ROP, would need a dummy D-cell and a bulb.