SUN and SUM bin SSC's?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the color bin charts, it appears that SSC cool bins "SUN" and "SUM" are below 5000k and in the same area overlapping the Cree Neutral 3B bin. SSC seems to have higher CRI (93 versus 75-80 for Cree Neutral-warm). I can only find S2 bin (~60-70L/watt) Neutral SSC, but would like to see the SSC SUN and SUM bins. Has anyone ever seen one? And if you have, then where can I get some? I am on a constant search for the best compromise of brightness, CRI, and tint. SUN and SUM may be a good compromise if I can find U flux bin emitters.

TexLite

Enlightened
Hi Blindasabat,

The cool bin P4's are listed as 70 CRI.The neutral and warm as 93 CRI.

The SUN's,while warmer than a SXP or SWO,still have a CRI around 70 according to the datasheet.

The SUN's look nice to me too,and they are available in U2SUNH,but I have only been able to find them in large quantities.

-Michael

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume, but most likely incorrectly, that there is not a sharp divide in CRI between cool and neutral bin SSC's. That the datasheets report a single CRI for 'cool' and one for 'neutral' as whole groups just for simplicity. I hope there is a gradual change and that the warmer 'cool' tints will have higher CRI. *fingers crossed* I may be completely incorrect in that though, as they may actually use different phosphor (a guess on my part based only on the fact that nichia 083 high CRI LEDs seem to use a different phophor mix to achieve high CRI. I am starting to read that CRI can only be compared between emitters (LED or incan or other) at equivalent color temperatures, so a lot of this is quickly going out the window with LEDs of varying color temp...

BUT, I am also seeing that much of tint is application and observer dependant, SO, I still want to see the warmest U bin (or even T-bin) SSC's I can get my hands on to see if they give better depth and definition than cooler LEDs in my mountainbike light and hiking (generally dirt, foliage, and rocks) applications. I suppose they will at least help since I have found Lux3 V1 tint to work much better outdoors than W0 and other Lux tints.

Hi Blindasabat,

The cool bin P4's are listed as 70 CRI.The neutral and warm as 93 CRI.

The SUN's,while warmer than a SXP or SWO,still have a CRI around 70 according to the datasheet.

The SUN's look nice to me too,and they are available in U2SUNH,but I have only been able to find them in large quantities.

-Michael
Thanks Michael. Where are they available? Wonder if I can get samples somehow...

TexLite

Enlightened
I've wondered about the observations you made as well,but unfortunately,the manufacturers havent been forthcoming with any more information.

Take Cree for instance,their cool and neutral white are rated at 75 CRI,while the warm white are rated as 80 CRI,but their LR4 fixture is rated at 94 CRI.It remains to be seen what emitter is being used in that fixture.
http://www.cree.com/press/press_detail.asp?i=1211481646317

Maybe the products have been improved and the datasheets havent been updated to reflect this.Who knows,but maybe we'll get an answer sometime soon.

-Michael

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that since the LR4 fixture has to have several emitters, Cree installs different tint bins together to get a higher CRI. I suspect you can mix a bunch of random LEDs together and the CRI will only go up.
And it is rated UP TO 94 CRI, so they may be allowing for different mixes.
Take Cree for instance,their ... LR4 fixture is rated at 94 CRI.It remains to be seen what emitter is being used in that fixture.
http://www.cree.com/press/press_detail.asp?i=1211481646317

Still want some SUN SSC's...
Gonna do a WTB in custom/mod section.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree the SUN bins look nice. I haven't managed to find any yet but I hope to nab a few sometime.

TMorita

Enlightened
I'm interested in some SUN bin SSCs as well.

If someone finds a source for them in small quantities, please post a link!

Toshi

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure there might be interest in a group buy if we had to buy more than a few to cover shipping.