Problem with an aspherical lens

BenjiBot

Enlightened
Hello, I recently got a Melles Griot 52mm/37mm FL aspherical lens sent to me in the UK, and was disappointed to find that it's slightly too big for the standard D Mag bezel, my Kiu VL bezel and my Fivemega bezel. Is it possible to shave down the lens, or is this a tricky job to do with limited tools and experience? How have others managed to make a Melles Griot 52mm, Mag C/D and bezel thrower?

Thanks, in advance :candle:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe they either live with the gap or file the head shorter to make up space inside.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
how big is your die image when measured at 10 & 20 feet ?

measure example also here

i ordered that same lens but canceled it as i was told my measurements were in normal range ...but before i canceled i had planned on using the anti-roll bezel to hold the 52mm lens like here and i measured and i think it should hold without dropping out, for $3 might be worth a shot and no modding needed

BenjiBot

Enlightened
qip, I can't get the lens to sit properly within the bezel, it's slightly too big and goes in at an angle - the bezel only does up by about 2.5 turns. Can't therefore project the die properly :confused:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same problem with a lens I received last year from Surplus Shed. I managed to take the edge down on a belt sander. Minor chipping but nothing that shows up in the beam.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I'll break out the hammer and chisel!

NO! Don't do that!!

Here is what I did, get a drum sander, or a rotary file, and remove the lip inside the bezel where the o-ring goes, then a little more and it will fit. Take a look at these pix:

Use a drum sander and rotary file to open up the bezel.
IMG_6617.jpg

IMG_6616.jpg

Trim the reflector to fit Inside the head
IMG_6613.jpg

Almost no gap (I have a little, but it was needed to align up the flame job)
IMG_6603.jpg

Nereus

Enlightened
Hello, I recently got a Melles Griot 52mm/37mm FL aspherical lens sent to me in the UK, and was disappointed to find that it's slightly too big for the standard D Mag bezel, my Kiu VL bezel and my Fivemega bezel. Is it possible to shave down the lens, or is this a tricky job to do with limited tools and experience? How have others managed to make a Melles Griot 52mm, Mag C/D and bezel thrower?

Thanks, in advance :candle:

Benjibot, you may find this tutorial useful.

WBR,

-N