SureFire 10X - still use yours?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been plenty of M6 threads recently, so I know incans haven't gone completely out of fashion quite yet. But what about the M6s rechargeable brother? You can't argue with a factory rechargeable, 500 lumen SureFire :D

Does anyone still use their 10X? I still do, when I want the M6's output but either can't quite square the outlay of SF123A or need the dual-output feature.

Granted, it's a pretty weird looking light...but it's rechargeable, dual output of 60/500 lumens and it's a SureFire...what's not to like?

Or am I the only one who still uses the 10X?

Regards,
Tempest

Till

Newly Enlightened
Never had one in my hands before, but it just looks so unwieldly and the reports of quality issues before have cause me to keep my distance from the 10X.

But like I said I haven't had personal experience with one.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Heck Yeah!!

The 10X is my go-to light when I want incandescence...
I keep it topped off on the charger, and use it at least once or twice a week for a few minutes each time.. I took it on a trip to the Sierra Mountains here in California too, and used it sparingly during the night to scan the perimeter of our campsite for bears or other predatory animals. The battery pack lasted the whole trip and I was glad to have that much light with me at all times.

Every once and a while I feel like selling mine.. But I just let the feeling subside, wait for a dark moonless night, and blast into the night sky a Dominating beam of light! :naughty:

So yeah, I still use mine, I think it's a great light despite the few issues it has.

vandraiss

Newly Enlightened
I use mine almost daily. I water a garden and add water to my pool at night and use the 10X to operate the water valves and check for spiders. I have found Black Widow spiders on the valve manifold more than once. I also look for plugged up sprinklers from a distance. In the front yard I look for plugged sprinklers also and use the light to get things from a second refrigerator I have in the garage. I have other lights ranging from Fenix P1D's to a Warrior III but the 10X is best for these tasks and it recharges the fastest too.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Never had one in my hands before, but it just looks so unwieldly and the reports of quality issues before have cause me to keep my distance from the 10X.

But like I said I haven't had personal experience with one.

One great thing about living in NYC is all the Authorized Surefire dealers.

I got to try out a 10x Dom. about a year ago. Yup, it looks odd, but is incredibly comfortable in the hand. I credit that to both the oval shaped handle, and the rubber inserts on the sides of that same handle. Plus the light is very lightweight.

The price, and Q.C. issues with the charger, are why I never pulled the trigger on one. And must admit, the M6 really is a better light at a better price. If I want a rechargeable inca light, with a butt-load of lumens, and geared more for flood than throw.... I'd rather buy a Wolf-Eyes M90 Rattlesnake with the L.F. lamp rated for 700 emitter lumens. (About 450 out the front).

The 10x Dom. was a better value before Surefire's large price increase, back in 2003.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phew, not entirely on my own then :)

I've been fortunate enough never to have had any problems with the charger. I have a feeling a lot of people ignored the 10X because they couldn't square so much money on a "plastic" light. I'd say it's just as tough and well built as the M6.

Regards,
Tempest

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had the pleasure of handling one, but a while ago I decided to get one before I go for an M6 (unless I find myself owning an M6 lego kit before the M6; accessories would change the value equation). That said, if any of you who don't use your 10X anymore need the space, I could afford about $40 :broke:

I'm not sure I see the 'plastic light' argument - look at the G2Z.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm not sure I see the 'plastic light' argument - look at the G2Z.

Here's how some folks see it....

Look at the price difference between a G2Z and Z2.

It's not exactly a direct comparison, but now look at the price of an M6 vs. 10x Dom.

I got my new M6 for $349 at a B&M shop. A different B&M shop had the 10x listed at $505. Even without the price hike, $450 is what you'd normally pay for one.

For $100 less, I get a tough-as-nails, all metal light.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
For $100 less, I get a tough-as-nails, all metal light.

The 10X can recharge many times, and the M6 is going to eat six primary cells each cycle.

So that's only 16 cycles on the M6 until you've spent the extra $100 on batteries, if each CR123 costs $1. (unless you make the M6 rechargeable)

I don't know.. One or the other. To be honest, I was given the 10X by my uncle who's a locksmith in L.A. So I didn't feel the brunt expense of buying it personally.

It's a sturdy, satisfyingly bright and two stage incandescent flashlight that recharges itself in the car or house. For what it is, it's great. Give me a li-ion battery pack, and I'd call it perfect.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The 10X can recharge many times, and the M6 is going to eat six primary cells each cycle.

So that's only 16 cycles on the M6 until you've spent the extra $100 on batteries, if each CR123 costs $1. (unless you make the M6 rechargeable)

You hit the nail on the head right there.... a lot of good rechargeable options out there for the M6.

mdocod

Flashaholic
If they made one with li-ion tech in the batteries, LED on low beam, and HID on high beam that fit in a similar package they could charge even more and it might even be worth it for some people :)

Eric

Carpenter

Enlightened
Mine sits right here next to me on my desk at work. It's my power failure light. I had to use it as that about a month ago. :thumbsdow

I plan on using it this weekend with my sons cub pack for a night walk and presentation spotlight.

I honestly wish I could find more uses for it.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine sits right here next to me on my desk at work. It's my power failure light. I had to use it as that about a month ago. :thumbsdow

Even though I'm trying to expound the virtues of the 10X in this thread, I'd really suggest an M6 for the use you describe.

If I'm relying on a light primarily for power failures, then I would want it to be running on primaries such as SF123A. When a rechargeable light has been sitting around for a while you can't guarantee it will have the same level of charge it did when you left it there. With the M6 loaded with fresh cells, you know you're guaranteed a lot of light, no matter how long it has been sitting around.

Regards,
Tempest

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If I'm relying on a light primarily for power failures, then I would want it to be running on primaries such as SF123A. When a rechargeable light has been sitting around for a while you can't guarantee it will have the same level of charge it did when you left it there. With the M6 loaded with fresh cells, you know you're guaranteed a lot of light, no matter how long it has been sitting around.

Regards,
Tempest

Even better, since there's no way of telling how long a blackout will last, an M6 with an MN15 and loaded with primaries. That is one sweet combination of output and runtime. 200 lumens for about 2 hours. :twothumbs

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, in such a situation I would want something other than/in addition to the sheer brutal output of the M6. Ideally, then, I would have a 10X running on primaries so I had the dual output of the Dominator backed up by the setyourwatchtoit reliability of SF123A.

Regards,
Tempest