wiring of a driver and using an alu reflector as a heatsink?

jontawn

Newly Enlightened
Dear CPF,

Today I have a day off and have been sat with my new purchases on my desk.

One of the units is: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1885

According to the DE website I wire up +v to the centre between the two diode's and -v where indicated, on the underside I assume the outer ring is -v and the inner is +v?

If I use this with a Q5 mounted in an Alu reflector (35mm) (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14599 do you think it would be sufficient heatsinking for a Q5?

regards and thanks in advance,

Jonathan

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you buy one of the reflector sets with no emitter and use the part that screws into the reflector that comes in the set and screw that into your reflector then I think you would be alright if you have a little airflow.

I say that because the thermal path for high-power LEDs is out the back, so mounting them by the front to anything will not be very useful.

Last edited:

jontawn

Newly Enlightened
Hi

Yeah, the LED is mounted on a star, I trimmed it to fit - my reasoning that I can stick a little heatsink on the back of the star and in between the reflector i'm using!

Thanks for the link, but @ 26.5mm, the dia' is too small (I need 35mm)

Just had a (not the one linked in the photo) driver go up in smoke, cant understand it, all works fine, put some Heatshrink sleave around it, trim it, and then using the last few mm of the reflector, hold it in place, tested before putting into the reflector and all cool, as soon as i powered it up, that gut-sinking smell of burnt out electronics and out comes a little smoke.

great... i must have caught a wire / something when I put it in.

Back the drawing board! If anyone can advise on correct wiring for that driver, it'd be appreciated!

cheers,

JT

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link, but @ 26.5mm, the dia' is too small (I need 35mm)

I know that reflector is too small. But you don't need the reflector, you need the piece that screws into the reflector, which will fit your 35mm reflector.

Edit: the threads in your reflector might not be the M20x1 that most of them are.

Last edited:

jontawn

Newly Enlightened
*doh* ;)

Sorry about that, you did say in your post, I should have read it fully!

I've added it to my fave's and will order a few on my next DX shipment! ;)

cheers bud,
JT