• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

LunaSol27 Sapphire Lens: is it AR coated on both sides?

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read through the FAQ and every thread I could find on the LunaSol27, but could not find if the sapphire lens is AR coated on both sides. Does anyone know? If it is only 1-sided AR, like the original PD, is it possible to determine which side? I took my lens out to clean, but forgot which side was facing inwards :ohgeez:. Thanks in advance!

JohnnyDeep

Newly Enlightened
The AR coating is on the inside only.
You can find out by holding the window and looking at it against a light source from a small angle. Be careful not to touch the AR. Finger prints may be very carefully removed with a clean optical cloth. (The kind made for camera lenses).

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I looking for a different tint/color that indicates which side has the AR? My eyes aren't 20/20 anymore, but both sides seem identical to me :confused:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Maxspeeds,
If you have access to a light meter, take a reading at 1 meter with the lens installed both ways. When you have it in the right orientation you should see ~200 lux increase.
Edit: I know it doesn't help you now, but in the future before you remove the lens put a small piece of tape on the outside of the lens. That way you will always know which side faces out.:)

Last edited:

cdosrun

Enlightened
Hi Maxspeeds,

if you don't have a light meter then look at the reflection of the lens at an angle. You will have two reflections of your light source, one coloured and one white; when the coloured reflection is closest to the source you are looking at the AR coated side.

Andrew

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I don't have a light meter, but maybe I should buy one? Being a flashaholic without a light meter seems sacrilegious.

cdosrun,

Do you have a picture of what you're describing? I'm still quite confused. Thanks for all your guys' help though!

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: I know it doesn't help you now, but in the future before you remove the lens put a small piece of tape on the outside of the lens. That way you will always know which side faces out.:)

That's a good idea! I'll definitely do that next time.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Maxspeeds,

if you don't have a light meter then look at the reflection of the lens at an angle. You will have two reflections of your light source, one coloured and one white; when the coloured reflection is closest to the source you are looking at the AR coated side.

Andrew

That's interesting.
So, the white one's closer to the light source when you're on non coated side? :)

knifebright

Enlightened
And of course i've ruined just about enough single sided AR Gizmo lenses to now swear by the Tape Method. Just a wee bit of tape of any kind (i prefer electrical) on the outside of the lens (the one facing away from the LED) before removal, sure does now decrease major frustrastion and head scratching upon re-assembly ;)
Jimmy