Ideas for modifying a Tasco 2AA Nichia LED

drmaxx

Enlightened
I got the following Tasco light as a present:

Not quite sure where they got it from. It is a 2AA light with a Nichia LED and a lens to focus:

I just don't have any need for a 2AA Nichia LED. It might rund forever, but to be honest: I rather use my Infinity as a reliable long lasting backup light.
So, do you guys have a good idea how to upgrade this light?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Depends on how much you want to spend. If and only if the dimensions of the shell allowed it you could replace the boost module, the reflector and put in a high powered LED also but IMO unless you really like the shell I would probably advise you to just look to buy a premade 2AA light as they are perhaps as cheap as the parts to upgrade that and without the effort involved.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My "Rule of thumb". If the upgrade cost more than the light, and the quality of the light is poor, then don't do it.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just don't have any need for a 2AA Nichia LED. It might rund forever, but to be honest: I rather use my Infinity as a reliable long lasting backup light.
So, do you guys have a good idea how to upgrade this light?

How bright do you want it to be?

drmaxx

Enlightened
How bright do you want it to be?
I was thinking about something > 0.5W.
This would mean: find a decent heatsink, a driver board, a new reflector and a new lens (and of course the LED). Lens and driver board are probably the easiest to find.

I think, I just follow your advice and forget about modding this light. I might just pass it on to somebody who might appreciate more then me.