anyone have anxiety on eve of hurricane?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone have anxiety when hurricane arrive in your city?

I wait for it with my lights and dozens of batteries, blankets, survival gear.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's a serious cause for concern then by all means leave the area instead of waiting for it. There's no sense staying in harm's way when it can be avoided.

Regards,
Tempest

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with hurricanes is that in order to find room and avoid the long lines in the freeway you would have to evacuate days ahead of the storm and that costs money and sometimes even your job, kids loose school etc. etc. etc. It's a little complicated to explain if you haven't been thru one.

I remember when hurricane Rita in 2005 was about to strike Houston as category 5 storm (It weakened a lot before impact) I was loosing it, because all the freeways were jammed, and decided to stay and not risk being trapped in the freeway as thousands were. Good thing I was prepared and we only lost power for about 8 hours.

Let's see how it goes with Ike.

AlexGT

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
Having lived on the East Coast of Florida for 66 years, I have a great respect for hurricanes, but no fear of them. We have a very well built home with high quality shutters to protect all the glass. We have all the emergency supplies and a 5KW generator. I can stock 2 weeks gas for the genny and we are safe from floods for aything less than a direct hit from a cat 4. And the last major hit in St. Augustine was in the mid 1600s. Coastal geometry protects us a lot.

So, no we're not anxious. Just prepared.

adimag

Newly Enlightened
I only get anxious if it is Cat 2or above and headed in my direction. The worst part for me is evacuating and then watching the news to see if I will have a home to come home to.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leaving is, of course, the best thing, but....

There's many reasons not to. Main one is the government not permitting returns until "they" deem it's OK. I pretty much prefer to take care of my own business.

That being said, we're prepared to leave the coast if Ike develops as I expect. Our hurricane retreat is 50 miles inland, but if it's a strong 3 or better we'll probably go on to San Antonio.

I buy plenty of insurance.