• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Shark/Remora advice

Greg G

Enlightened
I have a freshly built quad Cree M@g with a Shark and Remora. On *high* it's putting .9 amps to the LED's. I'd like to have a little more, as I can run the light on low and medium most of the time, and only use the high setting for short bursts.

The way I checked the current is:

Measured voltage at the LED output with the light running.

Desoldered the LED wires to the light engine, set the power supply at 14.8 volts, connected the leads, and measured current. I assume this is a decent way to get a semi-accurate reading on voltage/current?

Anyway, can't I piggyback another resistor on top of the existing sense resistor to raise the output on high to 1.2 amps or so?

Thanks,

Greg

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
At one time I wanted to increase the output current of my Shark mods too, but realistically you won't see any difference other than much more heat. You are already driving them hard and are well past the point of diminishing returns.

If you do increase the output, be sure the Shark is well heatsinked.

Your measurment sounds fine as long as the power supply setting represents the cell configuration. It is on par with my lights and measurements.

Greg G

Enlightened
I piggy-backed a .27 resistor on top of the .1 last night and the voltage at the LED's is now 15 volts even, up from 14.8. I don't know what that comes out to in terms of current, but it's less than 1.2 amps.

With the power supply hooked up it took 15.2 volts to have 1.2 amps of current. It started out with 14.8/.9 amps, so it's probably a hair over 1 amp right now.

I don't run the light on high much. It does get warm. The Shark is heatsinked very well.

Latest posts