Large Hadron Collider goes online tonite!

Chuck289

Enlightened
"At 12:30 a.m. EDT Wednesday, scientists on the Franco-Swiss border will flip the switch on the Large Hadron Collider, a 17-mile underground ring where subatomic particles will be accelerated to astonishing speeds and then smashed into each other."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,419404,00.html

So will we see the end of the world? Mini black holes? Exotic matter? Time travelers from the future?

Can't wait to see what happens, I'm so excited! :tinfoil::party:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm afraid all the concerns are very well justified:

lhcco0.jpg

We're all doomed :duck:

Regards,
Tempest

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Putting aside any talk about the possible end of the world, how on Earth do these scientists obtain funding for such a huge, costly project which IMO has no real practical benefits? Now if this were fusion research I could understand putting all these billions of dollars into it. But whatever is discovered here will probably only be meaningful and understood by a small group of scientists. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for scientific inquiry. It's just that if such inquiry costs a small fortune it should at least have some potential spinoffs like the space program did. Sure, they created a black hole all right-one which sucks up money like no tomorrow.

Illum

Flashaholic
Despite the reassurance from earlier press reviews...I still say theres going to be a temperory power outage in that location not including the possible interference from the magnetic fields coming from it.:ohgeez:

Chuck289

Enlightened
Putting aside any talk about the possible end of the world, how on Earth do these scientists obtain funding for such a huge, costly project which IMO has no real practical benefits? Now if this were fusion research I could understand putting all these billions of dollars into it. But whatever is discovered here will probably only be meaningful and understood by a small group of scientists. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for scientific inquiry. It's just that if such inquiry costs a small fortune it should at least have some potential spinoffs like the space program did. Sure, they created a black hole all right-one which sucks up money like no tomorrow.

Sometimes great discoveries happen by accident. Who knows what we may learn from this. It could maybe lead to a new way of producing energy :shrug:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Sometimes great discoveries happen by accident. Who knows what we may learn from this. It could maybe lead to a new way of producing energy :shrug:
Yeah, if they could produce and bottle antimatter by the gram for less energy than it takes to produce it then I'm all for it.

OK, there may be a few practical things to come out of this such as massively networked computing and better superconductors for things like maglev trains. Not entirely wasteful I suppose, although we could have developed those things without making a huge circular tunnel. I just hope the doomsayers aren't right.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i really don't care if the world ends .long as we don't suffer

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it does destroy us, it would certainly provide entertainment for any aliens out there watching us from afar :) Millennia of war, genocide, invention of increasingly destructive weaponry to kill each other with, and in the end its some scientists fiddling with their latest toy that destroys the world. Didn't see that one coming.

Regards,
Tempest

Illum

Flashaholic
...and in the end its some scientists fiddling with their latest toy that destroys the world. Didn't see that one coming.

For now when we pick up a new light its "ow my eyes!" pretty soon you'll turn on a flashlight in your house, get sent to the ER for 3rd degree burns and blinded and you ask the doctor "was there a fire at my house?"

and the doctor replies "house? what house? we found you in a blast crater! it looked like something outerspace beamed you down"

yeah, mankind and our toys:shrug:

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can visualize the aliens landing on the moon with baskets full of popcorn for front row seats. Do you all think there may be a sort of galactic youtube among other civilizations? If they are filming us, I hope the title of the video doesn't read "ROFL humans, Owned!"

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't you all know, this is how our universe was created in the first place?

Some scientists in a previous age tried to figure out the same questions, and ended up ending their universe and gave birth to ours with a big bang?

:D

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I would actually be kind of funny if half the black holes in the universe were caused by other "intelligent" civilizations firing up their own versions of the Large Hadron Collider.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
about 5 minutes before it happens im going to let all my fish out of there tanks incase they become humanfish i dont want em mad at me

Chuck289

Enlightened
I'm gonna go tell my boss that if the world ends tonight then I'm not coming in to work tomorrow.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's only a small bang this time, they'll move up toward a bigger bang in time.

Would be funny thou if two protons just pass/bounce off each other and nothing happens, and they now have $10 billion worth of useless steel on hand.