Modding a SL Scorpion incan?

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I have an LEO friend who is aware of my flashaholism, and asked me to mod his light (currently an incan scorpion, which he loves--except for the brightness). I did a little searching, but found mods only for the LED version. Does anyone know of anything that can be done to up the output of the incan? Can an LED head be purchased and then modded, or would it be more sensical to just have him buy a new light or host? Thanks for the advice! cheers,

Mike

Superdave

Enlightened
I looked quite a bit into modding mine, the main thing i wanted to do was put the 200 lumen 6V bulb from a Magcharger into it.. but in the end i just tossed some fresh batteries in it and put it in my glovebox.

I'd imagine a new head would be in order, there might be something else out there that uses the same size threads...

I found that the "police" ebay incan lights have a very similar threadding and accept a P60 lamp, i can get pics of that combo if you'd like.

Illum

Flashaholic
the scorpion isn't a light thats capable to be modded, for one thing the bezel is press sealed from the front, meaning you'll have to break it open.

the only "moddable" option would be to swap the existing scorpion lamp with that of a streamlight TL-3 lamp and use 2xRCR123As;)

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread may give you some idea. However, nothing left and I don't think Lighthound has anymore of these.

For higher output, 2x18500 or 3x18500 flashlight will work much better.

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thanks everyone--that's what I thought. Anyone know if the scorpion LED head is interchangeable? Though it might be cheaper just to buy a new host body. I don't think he'll be into spending the $$ on a SF, so which less expensive bodies make good hosts? I'm not sure if he'll be up for rechargeables, so to minimize costs, I might try to set him up with a new cree or SSC. Thanks for any and all of your thoughts.

Illum

Flashaholic
nope!
the SL scorpion LED is not designed to be taken apart and therefore the threads that connect the bezel to the body are not user serviceable and very likely different compared to the threads in the scorpion incan. :ohgeez: