Ever Build a Light Engine, Only to Have It Not Work?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often like to build custom made converter modules--designed to hold the standard .55" drivers from suppliers like the Sandwich Shoppe and others.

Every once in a while though, I've put a driver in, only to find that the LED won't light. Damn! Especially if one is potting the driver, a failure like that sucks big time. :crazy:

Recently, I've made a custom copper converter for a custom light and the choice of driver was the GD750, which I've used many times.

This time, though, instead of epoxying the driver in place, I decided to wire it up without the epoxy and then test it. Good thing, as it didn't work. Hmmm.

Yup, check the polarity, the wiring, etc., all was good--so WTF was wrong?

Perhaps this red arrow shows the culprit:

GD750Board.jpg

That's awfully close to the edge of the board, too close for me, and I'm pretty sure it was touching the copper converter housing.

So I decided to isolate the driver so that it wouldn't contact the module anywhere. First I needed to bore out the copper converter module so that I could insert the isolating sleeve:

CopperModuleShelf.jpg

The nominal diameter of the GD750 is 14mm, so I bored out to 16mm and took that down to 1.62mm so that the board would be flush with the module when installed. I also bored another step, 15mm in diameter and about 5mm from the edge of the converter.

Next I made a polycarbonate sleeve:

PolycarbonateSpacer.jpg

That matched the bores that I had just done in the copper module, so that this sleeve should just slide in place.

And the interior of the sleeve was bored to fit the GD750 board:

PolycarbShelf.jpg

So for the final installation, I epoxied the sleeve in place first, and then epoxied the driver into the sleeve. Now there was no way that any component could reach the copper module:

GD750ModCompleted.jpg

And you know what? It worked perfectly. :D

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's some beautiful work, as usual.:twothumbs

December can't get here soon enough so that I can get my mini-lathe and make parts like this for mods.:popcorn:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's some beautiful work, as usual.:twothumbs

December can't get here soon enough so that I can get my mini-lathe and make parts like this for mods.:popcorn:

Mini lathes are so much fun. What are you getting?
I scored myslef an old Sherline a few months ago. Its great.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mini lathes are so much fun. What are you getting?
I scored myslef an old Sherline a few months ago. Its great.

A 7 x 12 mini-lathe to start with. It will really be nice to actually fabricate something that you can't buy.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a few problems in the past too.
I filed the retaining ring down to fit around the components on the shark to aviod contact issues.

Very nice work...:wave:
I want a lathe:(

031-2.jpg

006-5.jpg

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Fred, at least you could solder that thing together, I blew up two of them because of my "wonderful" soldering techniques.

That is a wonderful example of finding a simple solution and I will put this in the memory banks for the future.

Also, this brings up the point as to why I don't do the little lights. D sized M@g is small enough at times.......now a Thor.....just about right!!

Bob E.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yup. I've put Dremel against can a time or two to eliminate similar problems. Once I even put a dab of epoxy on top of the trace near the edge.

Actually, I had a couple of sammies and an ArcAAA circuit die on me after repotting. I blamed it on the epoxy shrinking/contracting after curing.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Very nice work Fred, both with the converter solution and the hosts.
They look very elegant. What material are they?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fred the Flupics are the same way. I have been doing exactly what you have been doing :)

Mac

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
I feel your pain Fred, I had to deal with that on the tri-flupic/P7 your working on and the one I have here. With no lathe at the time I had to resort to dremel magic and some AA epoxy for good measure;)

~Chip

p.s. I'm gonna try and knock out the anodizing today/tomorrow after work, they should go back to you Monday :twothumbs

Latest posts