Dorcy Super 1 watt upgrade to SSC P4 ?

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
I've bought 3 U bins from that address, them came stuffed in bubble wrap and taped, and all three were duds. I suspected they are squashed to death.

there has been reports of T bins being mounted backwards on the star:(

I'd recommend buying SSCs from the forum

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would be best served buying from Photonfanatic. Why you ask?
1. He packages the LEDs in a way that would take dump truck to crush them.
2. His stars have the bin and LED type imprinted on them.
3. His shipping is very fast.

Here's a Link

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
All three? did you get refund or new ones shipped?

Yes they do not seem to do much for protecting stuff unless it came with its own case or box or such. Even if DX may send new ones or such with pics proof it would be a hassle if they good odds of arriving damaged, squashed or as duds.

I suppose I may try a getting one or two in marketplace instead.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened

Here's a Link
Also has a thread at here

I plan to use if I could two 3.0v RCR123 600 mAh that AW used to sell but they top out at 3.7v after charged. Photonfanatic posted the U2SW0I has a Vf of 3.25V to 3.50V so I guess I would need say U2 SW0J as it is 3.50-3.75 ?

GSteg

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for Photonfanatic. Shipping is a lot faster especially since he's in the US.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also has a thread at here

I plan to use if I could two 3.0v RCR123 600 mAh that AW used to sell but they top out at 3.7v after charged. Photonfanatic posted the U2SW0I has a Vf of 3.25V to 3.50V so I guess I would need say U2 SW0J as it is 3.50-3.75 ?

Does this light use one or two 123s at a time?

Do you know if this light is regulated?

I tried to lookup this light but it seems Dorcy has used this name on a few flashlights so I am not sure which one you have.

Some of the RCR's I have had come of the charger at 4.1v. You need to be careful direct driving a P4.

Last edited:

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Does this light use one or two 123s at a time?

Do you know if this light is regulated?

I tried to lookup this light but it seems Dorcy has used this name on a few flashlights so I am not sure which one you have.

Some of the RCR's I have had come of the charger at 4.1v. You need to be careful direct driving a P4.
The light is regulated to a degree with 1xCR123 as it is this one http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_super1w.htm (at Dorcy site) and the black one is the same just with a more sleeker head as I linked in first post.

I think you may have misread me a bit...

I said I have a couple of 3.0v RCR123 600mAh that were from AW (well actually purchased through Lighthound as a two battery/charger set) and they are about 3.68 to 3.70 hot off charger. AW's thread on the batteries and charger when he used to sell them is Here. These are not the 3.6/3.7v that are hot off the charger at 4.1v+ you are thinking off.

Edit: after reading AW's post on these 3.0 batteries, they are hot off at mush as 3.8 and goes down to 3.2v on load, so I guess the U2SW0H could work even?

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you may have misread me a bit...

I said I have a couple of 3.0v RCR123 600mAh that were from AW (well actually purchased through Lighthound as a two battery/charger set) and they are about 3.68 to 3.70 hot off charger. AW's thread on the batteries and charger when he used to sell them is Here. These are not the 3.6/3.7v that are hot off the charger at 4.1v+ you are thinking off.

Yes, I missed the little 3.0v part.:oops:

Well the link says that it has a boost circuit. With 3v rechargeables I think you will be ok. If you go with a lower VF you might gain some runtime.

If you have a DMM you should check what the current is to the Lux I. Then you can get an idea of how bright the upgrade will be.

Is the Lux 1 mounted on a star?

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Is the Lux 1 mounted on a star?
Yes as the whole section is easy to take out of the head and the reflector is held over the emitter with two halves of a plastic ring. It is been said that you just unsolder the Luxeon star and then solder the SSC P4 star at the two connections and then put it together again.

Actually the two 3.0v are about 3.77 and 3.76 hot off charger.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look on the back of the star. If it has not been taken off you might be able to see what bin is used in the light.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a Link
Shipping is a bit slower to Canada, but you get your stuff extremely well packed and in working condition.

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shipping is a bit slower to Canada, but you get your stuff extremely well packed and in working condition.

I guess I should have made that more clear. I meant that Photonfanatic will ship the same day instead of other places that say, "Processing order" for days.:thumbsup:

Yes, the bottle cap shipping is the best!

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Yes shipping from the US can often take 1 1/2 to 2 times as long even with Priority comparred to shipping from HK.

@Nitroz, I mentioned the Luxeon bin # in the first post.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so both of these have forward voltage of 3.2-3.5v which would be equal to the Seoul "I" bin.

You have one with a flux value Q, that would 30 to 39 lumens. The R would be 39 to 51 lumens. The Seoul U2 P4 can do 100-118 lumens at 350mA! At 1 amp the U2 can do around 270 lumens.

This will be a huge upgrade for these lights.:thumbsup: