New Amondotech N30 problems

gofaster_s13

Newly Enlightened
I bought an Amondotech N30 which arrived yesterday, when its fully charged(green led on) the HID when switched on starts up reaches what I think is full brightness then gives a couple of flickers and switches off what could the problem be ????

Morepower!

Enlightened
Sounds very much like a battery problem to me. Did you give it a full charge before using it ? If so try giving it another good long charge and test it again. If the problem is still there I would contact the seller to organise a replacement. Hope this helps.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It does sound like a low voltage problem. Unfortunately, if you've charged it good once already, my guess is that you'll have to send it back for replacement. This kind of thing happens sometimes, even with the best products.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
It sounds like a defective battery to me as well. Generally HID takes about 30-60 seconds to get to 100% brightness, so I think if you get a replacement you will be very pleased with it. I can't wait to get my N30.

rufusdufus

Newly Enlightened
If I recall correctly most of these lights have batteries which have been sitting around for months due to the business changing hands.
Again if I recall correctly all they need is several cycles of use to bring the battery back to full capacity.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi gofaster_s13 and welcome to CPF

We're closed on weekends so today would have been our first opportunity to answer your email. We're actually quite fast to handle email, same or next day, but only on weekdays. We have to rest some time. :)

You've probably already heard from us by now but, as it has already been pointed out, the most likely cause for an issue like this is a partial charge. We test EVERY N30 before shipment so I am sure your light was working when shipped but a new light usually does need a double charge the first uses and a few cycles to achieve full runtime.

Also, I'm not sure where your located but if you're using a 'tourist style' voltage adapter to convert 220-240 to 120 then that is your most likey cuplrity as those things simply don't work - if you're in a country running on ~220V you'll need a real voltage transformer - not a voltage adapter.

Hope this helps- please email us and we'll help resolve this for you.

king2penn

Enlightened
Hi gofaster_s13 and welcome to CPF

We're closed on weekends so today would have been our first opportunity to answer your email. We're actually quite fast to handle email, same or next day, but only on weekdays. We have to rest some time. :)

You've probably already heard from us by now but, as it has already been pointed out, the most likely cause for an issue like this is a partial charge. We test EVERY N30 before shipment so I am sure your light was working when shipped but a new light usually does need a double charge the first uses and a few cycles to achieve full runtime.

Also, I'm not sure where your located but if you're using a 'tourist style' voltage adapter to convert 220-240 to 120 then that is your most likey cuplrity as those things simply don't work - if you're in a country running on ~220V you'll need a real voltage transformer - not a voltage adapter.

Hope this helps- please email us and we'll help resolve this for you.

hi mark, im planning to purchase an N30 soon. Will this converter work- http://www.batteryjunction.com/sesttrvocoss.html ? Im living in singapore and the voltage here is 240V...:confused:

gofaster_s13

Newly Enlightened
I have given the N30 a second full charge which was enough to run the LED for over 22 hrs but it will still not run the HID lamp, could this still be a voltage problem ?? I have ordered one of the transformers you pointed out above and will try it also.

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
Someone please tell me if this is a bad idea, but it seems to me that you could try removing the battery pack and directly charge it with a 12 volt car battery (with the car not running). This wouldn't get you 13.2 volts, but it would probably charge the pack high enough to power up the HID bulb. In the unlikely event that the battery pack is already fully charged to begin with, wouldn't the car battery be able to absorb the excess voltage?

Last edited:

IcantC

Enlightened
Someone please tell me if this is a bad idea, but it seems to me that you could try removing the battery pack and directly charge it with a 12 volt car battery (with the car not running). This wouldn't get you 13.2 volts, but it would probably charge the pack high enough to power up the HID bulb. In the unlikely event that the battery pack is already fully charged to begin with, wouldn't the car battery be able to absorb the excess voltage?

Ummm uhhh yea I don't think so and would not try that.