Superbright LED new versions anyone ?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 things stopped me from buying them.

1) The voltage range of 2.8 to 12V means I cannot use them in 2 cell lights. The old ones work from 1 to 4 cells.

3) The $25 minimum for international orders. (Hope that has not gone up)

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 things stopped me from buying them.

1) The voltage range of 2.8 to 12V means I cannot use them in 2 cell lights. The old ones work from 1 to 4 cells.

3) The $25 minimum for international orders. (Hope that has not gone up)

1) I only use Alkaline / Lithiums for these bulbs.

2) $5 shipping on 4 bulbs, (2 of each), not expensive at all, on $27.70, total $32.80 ≈ $8.20 each, £4 each.

Much cheaper than competitor Tektite PR's, some of which require higher voltages, but are they as good ?
http://www.tek-tite.com/src/products.php?c=1055

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tektite bulbs use side emitter LEDs which result in large hotspots with radial artifacts.
The LPR-113 4 cell is very dim for a power LED.
I am pushing the LPR-3 3 cell in a 4AA flashlight (NiMH). Respectable output when overdriven but the Terralux TLE-1F is brighter. The Terralux does not focus well except in a 4AA with faceted reflector. One reason I have not tried the new SuperbrightLED bulbs. The 1W seem to be using the same case so I am leering of running into the same focussing problem.
The LPR-2 2 cell is brighter than the LPR-113 but not the TLE-1F.

For the ~price of a Tektite or Terralux PR bulb, one can get 4 SuperbrightLED bulbs.
Or more to the point a MTE 1AA 1 mode SSC-P4 is ~$17 (I paid <$15); An Ultrafire C3 Q5 is $21. That old standby for the poorer CPFers the Romisen MXDL RC-G2 Cree is still under $12. Not worth paying that kind of money anymore for a Luxeon bulb.

LPR-3 in bathroom bottom left (TLE-1F as alternate), LPR-2 in kitchen bottom right (PR2-W1-WVR as alternate). The 1AA lights next to the TV remote top left has been replaced by SSC-P7 torches :eek:. LPR-113 is in storage in a Dorcy spot/area lantern.
HouseFlashlightssmall.jpg

BTW that is a PR2-W1-WVR in a Dorcy AAA in my avatar.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the older
PR2-W1-WVR LED FlashLight bulb , excellent bulbs.

Update 2013....

All the bulbs above are still going strong in my various torches, PIR lights etc, 7 years later. Equiv of 60p per year, so far.

Extremely well pleased, and they work down to nearly zero volts nimh, sometimes difficult to kick start charge.