flashlights on star trek

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ever wonder what kind of flashlights they used in the TV series Star Trek the Next Gen or in Voyager..You'd think they have something like a 24 th century version of a Surefire. You know 30 or 40 kilo lumens with voice control and would have a tactical mode of about 10 million Candle power or something. What they have in the show looks like a lot less. Any ideas what they use?

WarrenI

Newly Enlightened
On Enterprise, looks like UltraStingers that are painted white. On Voyager, they seemed to be using twin camcorder accessory mounted halogen lights that were wrist strapped.

GeoffChan

Enlightened
They're using modded up Surefire M4 Devastators on "Enterprise"

"Oasis" is my fave epsisode, purely on the reason that the M4's have the best supporting role in thae episode. :d

Geoff

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened
they're definitely m4 devastators, the slim line, the turbo head, and the rings around the lower part of the bezel.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, I never noticed, I just thought they could all see in the dark...
grin.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kalieaire:
they're definitely m4 devastators, the slim line, the turbo head, and the rings around the lower part of the bezel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the M4 devastators, the slim line?

Is that the same as a standard M4 that is posted on the surefire web site?

I am, as we say in Texas, "fixin' t" buy an M3, probably, but if there is a new version of the M4, maybe I should consider that puppy!

BTY, I really enjoy ANYTHING STAR TREK, Enterprise, I loved Voyager, TNG, and DS9.

AND THE WOMEN of Star Trek!
T'pol on Enterprise!
7 of 9 on Voyager
Balanna on Voyager!
The NEW Dax!
The OLD Dax! (She was the "love interest" in the Rodney Dangerfield movie, back to school!)

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't think the M4 can get any slimmer!

The M4 has slim lines (thin body), cooling fins TurboHead (Millennium TurboHead)
- There is only one version of the M4.

So what with Jack using an M6 on 24, I now have to dig out that Enterprise episode to check out the use of white M4's?

The 9NT was featured heavily in Pitch Black... I'm hoping that they stick with SureFires for Pitch Black II.

Someone once told me that the wristlights used in Star Trek are modified South African Special Forces lights. I very much doubt this.
However, They could SureFire parts since the P90 Lamp Assemblies are off the shelf producing very nice beams. Of course the beams we see may not be the beams from the flashlight - what with studio lighting etc.

Anyways, Is that Enterprise episode out on DVD yet?

Al

Saaby

Flashaholic
Or then again...the could be carrying around something designed and built by stage hands. Yes yes yes probably based off some basic light but look at the Star Trek sets...they can do more than just paint a torch white
smile.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
Those wrist lights on "voyager" are some kind of obscure european dive lights. I saw them in a documentary aobut the Alabama that sank in the english channel during the Civil War. The french military divers who were diving on the ship had them on their wrists.

Ralf

Enlightened
Just saw the new (old) star trek (this one playing
before kirk and spok) tonight on german tv. Some
of them were in a cave and had really nice flashlights
looking like something from SF with turbo heads ...

cheers
ralf

jkthomson

Newly Enlightened
forget the silly flashlights...

can you imagine what sort of power source those torches would have?

if they can power a phaser for many, many shots, think how long they could pump out lower power for a measly light!

20 year runtimes, anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess you mean Enterprize - the one with Sam Beckett out of Quantum Leap as the captain?

They`re SureFire M4s with some of the obligatory Starfleet glowy LED add-ons to make them look even more futuristic.....as if they don`t look like they belong in spacecrafts anyways? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Here is a bad, fuzzy screen grab that kind-of-sort-of shows one in use:

enterprizem4s.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
ROFL!
Since coming here, you guys have had me studying the flashlights on every scifi series I watch instead of the plots! (and I've been a scifi phreak for over 40 years!)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
ChrisM...now you have me thinking about the "Babes of Star Trek"...uh, I mean yeah the flashlights that they used../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I don't know what it is, but I've always closely studied the flashlights used in any movie/television show ever since I can remember... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif oh man, I AM a Flashaholic!