What are Atwoods used for?

IcantC

Enlightened
Just wondering, I have seen them mentioned here and many other forums. They look very nice, well made and what not. But for the price, I do not see why so many people want/need them. Do not get me wrong they look very nice and is good to see them made by Mr. Atwood.

I notice there are specialized ones there, but if you have a multitool or something else, you can easily improvise. I figured since I do not own one, I won't know? The pocket prybar seemed cool though and they look nice.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Near as I can tell they are just to have and to hold. Can never bring myself to jumping on one when i see it made available.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
they are very elegant in their simplicity, yet lots of functions packed into the form. i use mine regularly for all kinds of things, from opening packages to prying things to opening up split rings and bottles and more. i carry a G3 Prybaby XL, and other Prybaby XLs before that, as well as a Bermuda Triangle free in my pocket and a flat Ti Gasbaby in my wallet.

to me its not really something that im going to use everyday, but its a matter of preparedness. im not going to lug a big multitool around all the time. i want something very small, light, but very functional and applicable to a wide variety of tasks. use your imagination! they come in handy more often than you think, as long as you keep it in mind. i even used my Prybaby to steady a wobbling table during dinner once.

i would say if you had to get one, a Gasbaby or Nibble is a good starting choice. in CA we cant carry fixed blades, so i had to pass on the small edged tools, but those are very handy as well. sounds like lots are coming up for sale soon, so definitely be on the lookout. and prepare to get hooked!

good news - if you dont like it, its VERY easy to sell it off at what you paid for it, or more. just keep the bag and card it came with!

IcantC

Enlightened
Thanks for the insight HH! I kinda can see how it is handy, they are easier to carry than a multitool for sure. Not to mention, they don't seem to depricate really.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Thanks for the insight HH! I kinda can see how it is handy, they are easier to carry than a multitool for sure. Not to mention, they don't seem to depricate really.

Not only do they not DEpreciate, they APpreciate. (at least some do ;))

I carry a G3 prybaby at all times, as well as a Nibble. Sometimes, I even throw in an Atwrench for good measure.

They are functional, miniature works of art in my opinion. There are a few who try to duplicate his work but don't even come close in my mind. Like HH said, they just help being prepared for whatever might come your way. I too am not going to carry a multitool, but there are quite a few situations that crop up that I can take care of with a given Atwood tool.

As you can tell, I'm a fan!

2814189191_2143da9c66.jpg

cutlerylover

Banned
They are very nice, but the fact is its popular and peopel want whats popular, lol...I man we all got our chores done before Peter was makign these thgins but people in general want the new thgin you know, and this is it, not to mention these gain value very qucikly so they are a sound investment...

matt0

Enlightened
I have a Nibble and it has proven pretty useful in the few weeks I've had it. I'd really like a Bermuda Triangle but I honestly can't see what it offers over the Nibble so I can't bring myself to buy it. An Atwrench or a Prybaby G3 would both be pretty useful.

Locomoco

Newly Enlightened
For me, I got my Atwood as it's the only thing they won't temporarily confiscate at work.

From the airport to other public places, it feels like there's a trend to try and "child-proof" the world by restricting our rights to carry items on our person.

With my Atwood I have a functional work of art that doesn't attract notice from "the Man".

precisionworks

Flashaholic
A flat Titanium Keyton (2.25 x .060) is just like adding a thin key to your keyring. Three different width screwdrivers, also suitable for light prying. It's always there & you never even notice it.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would say if you had to get one, a Gasbaby or Nibble is a good starting choice. in CA we cant carry fixed blades, so i had to pass on the small edged tools, but those are very handy as well. sounds like lots are coming up for sale soon, so definitely be on the lookout. and prepare to get hooked!
AFAIK, we can indeed carry fixed blades. They just can't be concealed, nor sharpened on both sides (dagger).

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, we can indeed carry fixed blades. They just can't be concealed, nor sharpened on both sides (dagger).

youre right, thanks for the clarification.

i said that because for me, any way i would carry it (like an MSOPT or booger) would be concealed - on belt, in pocket etc.

i guess on a neck chain outside your shirt would be ok?