Which bulb for a 2D mag with 3C's

mrk442

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2D Mag i put 3C's.. alks at the moment.. the stock 2 cell bulb is much brighter and a nice white rather then the ugly yellow but i figured i would ask which bulb would give me the most light output?

I am rather tight on cash so i am stuck with what i have for the moment so no battery holders or that sort of thing at the moment that cant be easily home made :)

is the 3cell bulb brighter then the 2cell overdriven? and will it be as nice a color?

thanks again!

swampgator

Enlightened
I'm running a KPR103 3.6V bulb in mine. I tried several times running the stock Mag 2 cell bulb but it consistantly poofed. Someone said that the 2 cell bulbs don't hold up well on 3 cells because they're being driven at 150%, whereas a 3 cell bulb on 4 cells is only being driven at 133%.

The 3.6 bulb isn't the greatest choice but it does give you 3 cell performance in a 2 cell light.

Now, a 3 cell being run on 4 c cells will overdrive nicely and produce a white light. But that being said my 3 cell 2 D light is pretty white.

Probably didn't help much but at least you have an answer.

mrk442

Newly Enlightened
yah i have not poofed mine yet so i guess i will just let it go till it dies then maybe i will have the cash for the battery adapters to go 6 or 8 aa's in it.

anyone know if the KD ones are any good on his site it says on high amp applications high resistance is a problem... i assume it would be easy enough to fix by changing contacts right?

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
Another option is to watch for a sale and buy a Mag-Led drop-in for 3 cells. I might be trying that one myself.

swampgator

Enlightened
The classic answer is the XPR103

Gotta a source for them? I bought out all the remaining stock in 3 separate Radio Shacks locally.

mrk442 said:
anyone know if the KD ones are any good on his site it says on high amp applications high resistance is a problem... i assume it would be easy enough to fix by changing contacts right?

Again, somewhere on here, someone posted a "fix" for the KD 3 to 1 cell adaptors. I think it did involve changing or beefing up the contact points, with, I believe, extra copper. It was in a thread about the ROP and the poster provided pictures showing the before and after.

A better choice is either Fivemega's or Mdocod's adaptor. The FM has the advantage of being able to charge all the cells as a whole pack. Mdocod's adaptor is very affordable.

Last edited: