Some budget light reviews-Xenon lights

mac66

Newly Enlightened
I have access to CR123 batteries at work and decided to buy a bunch of inexpensive lights from dealextreme.com to try out. I bought 4 LED lights (reviewed in the LED cheap light review forum) and these 3 Xenon powered jobs Thought I would share if anyone is interested in these good quality but inexpensive lights.

Romisen RX-A Xenon 2x123 batteries 5.25" $10.74
Comments: Same exact body as the Romisen LED RC-M4 . Nice light, it is as bright as my Streamlight Scorpion but not at bright as its' led version. Clicky on/of button. Wrist strap.

sku_13926_1.jpg

Hugsby B2 Xenon 2x123 batts 5.25" $10.74
Comments: Thick body and larger head. Nice sharp checkering on the body gives it a good grip. Very bright white light. Has a momentary rubber on button but a twist on end cap to stay on. Probably the best bang for the buck out there. Well made and brighter than most xenon bulb lights I've seen. Too thick for a pocket light. It is would be my first choice for a xenon tactical light. Great price and blows the other lights away in terms of performance.

sku_2525_3.jpg

9V GNP SDU Xenon 2x123 4.5" $12.95
Comments: Handy pocket size, brighter than the Scorpion but not the B2 above. Twist on with momentary button. A great little xenon light for the price. Not as tactical looking.

sku_0971_1.jpg

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Some DX light reviews-Xenon lights

Romisen RX-A Xenon 2x123 batteries 5.25" $10.74
Comments: Same exact body as the Romisen LED RC-M4 . Nice light, it is as bright as my Streamlight Scorpion but not at bright as its' led version. Clicky on/of button. Wrist strap.
I've been looking at this one for use as a P60 drop-in host or maybe leave as an incan.

I like the build quality of the Romisen lights I currently have.

I assume it's a reverse clicky.

mac66

Newly Enlightened
Re: Some DX light reviews-Xenon lights

I've been looking at this one for use as a P60 drop-in host or maybe leave as an incan.

I like the build quality of the Romisen lights I currently have.

I assume it's a reverse clicky.

It is a reverse clicky. You might want to try the same light in the LED version. It uses a CREE P4 bulb and is quite bright. Romisen RC-M4 about $17 and change.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review, thank you. I like the bottom two lights, I'm not so crazy about the looks of the Romisen though.

mac66

Newly Enlightened
How's the fit and finish of the 9V GNP SDU Xenon 2x123? I've had my eye on it for a while now.

It seems very well made. Fit and finish are very good. Mine didn't have the white lettering on it. In fact it had no markings on it at all.

mac66

Newly Enlightened
Here is another light I forgot to add.

Xenon 7.2 V COP Compass $9.12 2xCR123 5.5"
Pretty solid, heavy duty light. Has good sharp knurling which makes it easy to hold onto. Can use rechargable 123s. I was disappointed that the light output was not very bright with standard 123 batteries, otherwise this would be a great light for the price. It may be a good light to build something else on or put a LED module in but not a very good deal on it's own. It does have an adjustable beam and the reverse clicky on/off button is a small compass.

coplight.jpg

mac66

Newly Enlightened
Group Shot-Cheap lights

I posted a review of the LED lights in the LED section but I wanted to put up a group shot of the 8 lights I looked at.

From left to right

9V GNP SDU Xenon $12.95
Hugsby B2 Xenon $10.74
Romisen RC-M4 Cree $17.30
Romisen RX-A Xenon $10.74
7.2V COP Compass Xenon $9.12
Romisen RC-G4 Cree $17.80
Romisen RC-K4 Cree $17.24
Ultrafire WF-505B Cree $15.50

lights003.jpg

Kerch

Newly Enlightened
Can all of these host P60 sized drop-ins? They seem like a good cheap way of getting a 2*CR123A P60 host.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one that says "Lithium Power" with the compass on top.. is that a 2 cell or 3 cell light since you mentioned 7.2V?

I'm looking for a cheap 3 cell P60 host with decent build quality and knurling that has a body wide enough that will take two AW P18500's.

mac66

Newly Enlightened
The one that says "Lithium Power" with the compass on top.. is that a 2 cell or 3 cell light since you mentioned 7.2V?

I'm looking for a cheap 3 cell P60 host with decent build quality and knurling that has a body wide enough that will take two AW P18500's.

The Lithium Power is the COP light. It is a 2 cell CR123 light light but can use 3.6v rechargables. I don't know about the 18500s. Best thing is go to the websight and read the reviews and ask on the forum.

I think it would make a good host light though.

BTW, I call it the Pamela Anderson light. Cheap, well built but not too bright.

Last edited:

Kerch

Newly Enlightened
What drop-ins are you referring to? If LED, your question does not belong here.
I thought "P60" referred to the size of the drop-in, so I was referring to any drop-ins of that size, Xenon or otherwise.

DM51

Flashaholic
There is no hard rule about it, but the term "drop-in" is usually used when referring to LED assemblies.

For the replacement incandescent equivalent, the usual term is "Lamp Assembly".

I just wanted to be clear about what you were referring to, as discussion about LED drop-ins would not belong in this thread.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lithium Power is the COP light. It is a 2 cell CR123 light light but can use 3.2v rechargables. I don't know about the 18500s. Best thing is go to the websight and read the reviews and ask on the forum.

I think it would make a good host light though.

BTW, I call it the Pamela Anderson light. Cheap, well built but not too bright.

I was kind of looking on DX for such a light, but nothing really jumped out at me. The WF-500 will take two P18500's without the extender, but it's not a P60/D26 type light.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast

The "Smidd" aka WF-501C is cheap, takes 2 x 18500, takes D26 assemblies, and I have no complaints about build quality.

I run an EO-9 in mine with two protected AW 18500s, and am very pleased with it. I suspect you plan something similar.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry DM, but I think You exaggerate a bit here.

A question on the size of possible host lights - no matter if Led or bulb inserts are planned - belongs into the thread where these lights are tested, asked to the tester of these lights, imho
... or should he ask: "Please mac, could You answer, in the led sub-forum, if a ususal P60 style insert will fit in these lights?"
:rolleyes:

because when this total overreaction were right, dont forget to give this guy here
the hint that his question does not belong in here (where it belongs, because "ask the tester") but into the "electronics", or, when the moderator there thinks it does not suit, into the "modding" forum

common sense, please

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
yellow... it is quite difficult to understand what you are trying to say. Are you accusing me of "exaggeration" and "total over-reaction"? I clarified a point about correct terminology, and said that posts about LED drop-ins belong in the LED forum, and that is total over-reaction?